 Castle / 7099
Re: Which Set Should I Bring?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Tue, 19 Dec 2000 17:26:45 GMT

Dan Moquin wrote:

I'm about to set off across the country (Connecticut to Washington) for a
temporary assignment (18 months) at Boeing and was wondering which castle
set/s I should bring with me.  I'm going to be relatively limited on space,
so I can only bring a small amount of Lego.  I'm not sure if I should bring
one large castle or a bunch of small cart/wagon type stuff.  Or maybe I
should just load up on a bunch of general pieces.

Any suggestions out there?

Having just returned from a two week trip, I've got some thoughts. If
you think you will be wanting to buy 2001 sets, I'd bring very little
(perhaps just some minifigs) since in all likelyhood you will do what I
did and buy way too much while you're out there. Those new purchases
will give you plenty of bricks to build with.

What I did, in part because I didn't trust that I would find many Shell
sets was bring along a set of Shell sets a couple small sets which were
handy while I was packing, a set of chrome HTO sets, and a 9V light and
sound freestyle set which I had been wanting to play with. I pulled all
the bags out of the boxes and tossed them into a tub, and threw in some
resealable bags to hold the parts after I started opening bags. I
thought I might do some castle, but ended up not, the parts mix wasn't
that condusive to castle even though I had a bunch of castle minifigs,
just not enough structural elements. So instead I built a space ship
(having exactly three space related sets, 2543, 7101, and 7311).

The other lesson in that is to not try and force yourself into a
particular style of creation. Make sure you have yourself some bricks,
and build what the momement and the bricks suggest to you at the time
you sit down to build.

With what I brought, I had an enjoyable evening of sorting, and another
of building. I could have easily filled another evening or two just
building with the bricks I brought, of course there was 2001 set madness
to satisfy.

Check out my trip reports for more details on what transpired:

http://news.lugnet.com/loc/us/ca/sf/?n=1380

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com