 Castle / 6804
Re: Why does everyone hate Witche's Windship ( Mini-Review of 6037)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.reviews
Date:
Sat, 18 Nov 2000 20:39:26 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Brad Hamilton writes:
I've seen no end of bad comments about this set, and I just can't understand
why.

I wouldn't say its a "great" set, but for a small set, it has a lot of great
pieces, and I think the main model is kind of neat too.  Given that you can
pick it up for $5 and less (such as at KBKids) these days, I think its a
great way to stock up on certain pieces.

Main Model:

OK - I admit that this isn't a great main model, but I think it beats a lot
of other "small" sets out there on the market.  I think the idea of having a
"balloon" driven by a dragon is kind of neat.

Parts:

This is where the set really shines.  I explicitly bought this set for the
lower black dome on the bottom.  As far as I know, this is the only place to
get such a bottom-dome and it mates beautifly with the trans-light-green
upper dome from 2161 and the dark green dome from 6180.  I was happy to buy
this set, just for this one part.  It goes well with space and aquazone
creations.  Perhaps the people complaining about this set are castle folks,
and I agree that this particular piece is of little use for castle.

I also find that this set is a cheap source of a dragon, witch, and crystal
ball.  I know we all have plenty of these from discounted Knight Lords
Castle sets, but I really like these three parts and always want more.

Also, this set has 4 2x2x1 round yellow column peices.  Not a great trove,
but if you buy several of these sets, you can build up quite a bit of yellow
columns.

There are also 2 black 3x3x1 angled brick pieces.  I use these all the time
to fill the gaps between the small angled castle wall pieces (in black).
I'm happy to get some more.

I also like getting 2 more dark-gray axes.  Again, these are available all
over the place, but I tend to use them in large quantities on buildings, so
more is better.

The main model is just "OK" - I don't find it as appalling as some other
folks.  From a parts perspective, I rate this set as "excellent" provided
you apply the parts to other themes besides castle.  For a small set, it is
loaded with useful architectural elements.  Usually, I can't use most of the
parts from such a small set (since they are usually cars or other small
vehicles).

I have to agree that this set was certainly a great set in my opinion.  I
liked them so much that once KB got them at $4.99 I bought at least a dozen
and have no plans to get rid of any of the parts.  On of the best "parts"
sets in the last five years!  The only thing that I would complain about is
that it did NOT have another (included with the witch and dragon) minifig
with it from the Fright Knights series, then it would have been PERFECT.  I
just can't get enought of this one.  Don't forget the ship rigging, one of
the last places to get it!
Aaron