 Castle / 6801
Re: Why does everyone hate Witche's Windship ( Mini-Review of 6037)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.reviews
Date:
Sat, 18 Nov 2000 17:18:57 GMT

I neglected to mention that the inverse black dome piece CAN be inverted and
used as a more classical looking dome.

I did it in this MOC (with a tan version):

http://members.home.net/hmltn1/city2/sw.htm

You just use a 2x2x1 round piece with a technic axle in it.  You attach this
to your flat roof.  Then, you attach an inverted 2x2x1 round onto the other
end of the axle and attach the inverted dome to it.  You can use 2 1x4
plates plus a 1x4 tile on each edge to make it smooth.  Voila - You have a
top dome.

You can also add a non-inverted cone to the top by slipping it onto the top
of an axle.

Brad Hamilton <bhamilto1@home.com> wrote in message
I've seen no end of bad comments about this set, and I just can't • understand
why.

I wouldn't say its a "great" set, but for a small set, it has a lot of • great
pieces, and I think the main model is kind of neat too.  Given that you • can
pick it up for $5 and less (such as at KBKids) these days, I think its a
great way to stock up on certain pieces.

Main Model:

OK - I admit that this isn't a great main model, but I think it beats a • lot
of other "small" sets out there on the market.  I think the idea of having • a
"balloon" driven by a dragon is kind of neat.

Parts:

This is where the set really shines.  I explicitly bought this set for the
lower black dome on the bottom.  As far as I know, this is the only place • to
get such a bottom-dome and it mates beautifly with the trans-light-green
upper dome from 2161 and the dark green dome from 6180.  I was happy to • buy
this set, just for this one part.  It goes well with space and aquazone
creations.  Perhaps the people complaining about this set are castle • folks,
and I agree that this particular piece is of little use for castle.

I also find that this set is a cheap source of a dragon, witch, and • crystal
ball.  I know we all have plenty of these from discounted Knight Lords
Castle sets, but I really like these three parts and always want more.

Also, this set has 4 2x2x1 round yellow column peices.  Not a great trove,
but if you buy several of these sets, you can build up quite a bit of • yellow
columns.

There are also 2 black 3x3x1 angled brick pieces.  I use these all the • time
to fill the gaps between the small angled castle wall pieces (in black).
I'm happy to get some more.

I also like getting 2 more dark-gray axes.  Again, these are available all
over the place, but I tend to use them in large quantities on buildings, • so
more is better.

The main model is just "OK" - I don't find it as appalling as some other
folks.  From a parts perspective, I rate this set as "excellent" provided
you apply the parts to other themes besides castle.  For a small set, it • is
loaded with useful architectural elements.  Usually, I can't use most of • the
parts from such a small set (since they are usually cars or other small
vehicles).