 Castle / 5678
Re: New theme suggestion - Roman Era
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.castle
Date:
Thu, 10 Aug 2000 13:47:24 GMT

Well I'll say this much: i'm not a sharp historian, in fact my history of Rome
only goes so far as reading the Penguin History of the world. But Everytime i
see any thing roman related, and then when i see lego minifigs, Roman soldiers
immediately come to mind.

Tell me that chariots are not just asking to be made into a little set.
I do like the Romans for their engineering feats, especially I am studying to
be a civil engineer myself. Afterall it was their chariots and carts that have
evolved into todays railway gauges.

I think that the jewel in the crown for any roman set that Lego may create
would have to be a collesium of sorts. Perhaps lego could release it in
quarters, so that any completist [1] would buy four sets.

And yes the roman era could carry onward to such things as Egypt, Atilla's
traversing through the Alps, even perhaps towards a city called
Constantioplego. Ok I'll shut up now :-)

Santosh

In lugnet.dear-lego, Erik Olson writes:
Hi Lindsay... Hi Santosh...

Lego is not going to do this for us. We must do it ourselves. But it's fun to
speculate (or is that to design?)

Dear Lego,

I think a good idea for Lego would be the Ancient Roman Empire. It could be
somewhat historical too (educational?)

If somehow Lego were to go and do Roman for a castle theme, we would probably
get a make-believe version of history. There would be a timeless Emperor, some
people in togas, and a lot of cheery smiling red Praetorian guards. The • Emperor
would have short hair and a bunch of grapes.

I imagine there would be a big set of the Emperor at the Coliseum with
gladiators, a medium set of a big Temple with some Senators, a villa or two, a
budget Camp Gate set with 3-man Legionary squad, and polybags with your • Emperor
and Legionary or Gladiator minifigs.

If they did it like Knight's Kingdom, the everybody's-idea-of-an-Emperor would
face some sets of scary-looking landless guys with catapults and wagons.
Probably generically supplied "Barbarians" which would play well even to their
native countries.

Of course, they could do it better, with subthemes, ooh yeah. Not in any
particular order (like getting Ep.4 and Ep.1 the same year.) There'd be some
sets of the Republic with senators talking over ship's beaks. Numinous • Etruscan
Priests and Soothsayers watching birds (they'd probably just turn out • Wizards).
Humble red-tiled Republican farmer-soldier villas released alongside splendid
Imperial monuments. There'd be your oriental Heavy Cavalry, the Germans with
waggons and lots of cows (moo), red-bearded Britons, and Greeks with unkempt
beards. Druids.

My favorite small set: Marius' Roman Road Construction Crew. Next, Aqueduct
Engineers. And a Townspeople set with an actor, a sculptor, a Guard, a
gladiator, a lawyer, and a donkey. Not to forget the lowly Temple Treasury • Cart
repeat.

They would all have yellow faces.

Which part of the Roman Empire?  The Hellenistic portion, or
Gaul/Scandia/Britannia?  I'd love to see the theme move about from Greece to
Egypt to the Levant--although, you know, the Punic Wars would be great too.
Did Rome really have an organized foe after that?  I think Hannibal would be • a
lot of fun, and it would give us Lego elephants!

Good ideas Lindsay... too bad you'll be out of the picture for a little while.
Please take SOME Lego!

To put in a little context about Rome's foes (no not the Moo men), the second
Punic War was when Rome began to be a power in the Mediterranean (they clashed
with their Carthaginian and Greek neighbors while colonizing Sicily.) Rome
gained a tremendous number of formerly Carthaginian lands (Spain, Tunis),
resources (metals, grain), and military devices (trireme), albeit at a • terrible
price. Pressed with something to do with this power, those Roman legions were
sent to take on the remains of Alexander's empire in Macedonia and Greece and
certainly had their hands full there and elsewhere through the East.

It took Rome another two centuries (which saw it badly outnumbered by Germanic
wanderers) to consolidate the East (Pompey the Great), Dacia, Gaul (Caesar), • and
Egypt (Caesar/Antony), and visit Britain (which remained unconquered always,
really). It could be argued that a lot of the time Rome was its own organized
foe, what with Sulla's legions, civil wars and  rival Imperators. Also, • through
and beyond the disintegration of the empire and the Huns and *Goths in the • 400s,
organized Persia remained a perennial foe.
It is supposed that until WW1-2 the Roman sword had killed more people than
anything else, ever. (Sorry to leave you on that note! Too violent for
children's toys!)

-Erik

For those who read this far, a treat: http://www.ancient-theme.com

(what can I say, Santosh' post was timely)