 Dear LEGO / 2355
Re: New theme suggestion - Roman Era
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Thu, 10 Aug 2000 17:00:07 GMT

In lugnet.dear-lego, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:

Santosh Bhat wrote:

Dear Lego,

I think a good idea for Lego would be the Ancient Roman Empire. It could be
somewhat historical too (educational?)

Which part of the Roman Empire?  The Hellenistic portion, or
Gaul/Scandia/Britannia?  I'd love to see the theme move about from Greece to
Egypt to the Levant--although, you know, the Punic Wars would be great too.
Did Rome really have an organized foe after that?  I think Hannibal would be a
lot of fun, and it would give us Lego elephants!

Gosh, Rome fought nearly everyone after Hannibal.  Gauls, Germans, Dacians (an
excuse for Trajan's Column in Lego), Sarmatians, Macedonians/Greeks, various
eastern Alexandrian Successor states (including Ptolemeic Egypt and the last of
his line, Cleopatra), Ponts, Galatians, Persians in a variety of formats
(probably their most enduring and successful foe), Britons, Picts, revived
Greeks-pretending-to-be-Romans Byzantines, Huns, and who knows how many I left
out!  Greece/Rome/Persia/Carthage/Egypt provides a vast backdrop for
"civilized" building.  Celts could be the universal "barbarians" (they put in
various appearances in briton, france, italy, germany, switzerland, the balkans
and asia minor).  I'd love it!

Bruce