 Castle / 5406
Re: Ceasar Legos???
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Sun, 16 Jul 2000 06:00:18 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Nick Cameron writes:
Me and a friend were discussing lego themes when we began to think about a
roman theme. Stacking white colored barrels would make a good pillar. I'm not
sure if you can stack the large barrels, but if you can that would be even
better.

NICK :-L

Hey! Good idea! You are proof that this good idea continues to be a good idea to
lots of new people! Consider becoming an "Ancient Theme" fan!

There have probably been fans of this idea as long as there has been Lego, but
recently we have got a little organized. Check out Erik Wilson's Acropolis
Project which lists many "Ancient Theme" designs on the web.

http://itsa.ucsf.edu/~erikred/brick/classic/acropolis.html

Or the 1998 RTL Ancient Theme Building Contest:
http://itsa.ucsf.edu/~erikred/brick/classic/ancient.html

There's good stuff there, but we need more!!!

---

Pillars: there are lots of ways to make pillars, and if Lego would make barrels
in other colors we could use that too... I don't think the large ones stack.

I use square 2x2 bricks. Simple but effective, not the least bit round, but
after you make dozens of pillars the eye focuses on the forest not the trees. I
also do a lot of 1x1 brick pillars, when set up close against a wall they look
good. A real challenge is making a round dome supported by pillars; there were
many small temples like this.

For capitals on the pillars, lots of pieces work. Inverted slopes, even just a
brick. You can use the "1x1 plate with side eyehook", the little round tool-
holder (not the clip). With those on two sides it makes a cool capital. Another
possibility is to use a 1x1 "headlight" brick or a 1x2 technic beam with 1x2
"center stud" tile, and build a fancy capital off that. I like my pillars plain
though!

Some temple designs have been made completely with round pillars! Like Richard
Dee's Parthenon, or the Temple of Technic. We should all be so lucky to have
that many white round 2x2 bricks!