 Castle / 527
526  |  528
Subject:
More castle 2000 set comments
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Wed, 10 Nov 1999 02:11:20 GMT

OK, with all the posts nitpicking the new sets, I though I'd add my .02
cents (making it like $3 laying around now...  :) ).

6095:  Cool looking training dummy.  A king and some kind of boring
throne (some nice pieces in it), two knights.  Arms totals:  4 broad
axes (I've decided that's what they are), 1 old style brown axe, 1 brown
spear, 1 black and 1 grey lance, 1 silver broad sword (possiblly short
swords?).  3 small shiels with the lion style, 1 large shield with the
mad cow, 1 crown, 1 of those cool flip up visor helmets (black visor,
dark grey helmet) (I'm getting many of these just for that!), and one
swan hat (ever see the MST3K episode "Cave Dwellers"?  I swear, that
helmet is right from that movie).  1 white, 1 black horse, 1 red saddle,
1 horse armor with lion style, 1 horse helmet.  Rating:  Good, nice set
of arms.

6094:  Two small buildings, one for each side.  One pikeman and a
cow-warrior.  One building has a sword-in-the-stone thing going on, the
other is a prison.  Might be nice for castle filling, especially with
the new turrent pieces.  Arms totals:  2 broad axes, 2 brown spears, 1
crossbow, 1 silver broad sword, 1 short sword.  1 small shield with the
lion, 1 large shield with the mad cow, 1 pikeman helmet, 1 of the pointy
helmets with the nose guard.  Notables: has brown lanterns, lion head
sculptures.  Rating:  Good, some castle wall parts, and more soilders
and arms.

6026:  Another king, a soldier, and for some strange reason a castle
turrent wall.  Good cheap place to get those!  :)  Arms totals:  1
silver broad sword, 1 short sword, 1 brown lance.  1 small shield with
lion, 1 crown, 1 pikeman helmet.  1 white horse, 1 blue saddle.
Rating:  Cheasey, but has some nice pieces in it, if you don't mind
having an army of "kings" (if you play the RPG games, the crowns could
be useful).

6091:  Large-ish castle, with an enemy balista.  2 pikemen, 1 knight, 1
king (not another one!), 2 cow-warriors, 1 skeleton, 1 maiden.  Arms
totals (visible):  3 silver broad swords, 2 short swords, 3 crossbows, 1
bow (quiver too?), 1 brown spear, 1 light grey (!!!) old axe.  1 small
shield with lion, 3 large shields with the mad cow, 2 pikeman helmets, 1
pointy helmet with the nose guard, 1 flip up visor helmet (black visor
and helmet), 1 crown, 1 swan hat, 1 unknown (on the other cow guy), 1
maiden hat.  1 white horse, 1 horse armor with lion, 1 horse helmet.
Notables:  brown parrot, small banners with lion style.  Rating:  Great,
I personally like the balista, nice looking castle and a fair number of
people and a maiden!

6032:  Small catapult.  1 cow warrior.  Arms totals:  1 brown spear, 1
broad axe, 1 silver broad sword, 2 crossbows.  1 large shield with mad
cow, 1 swan hat.  1 horse helmet.  Rating:  Good, nice looking catapult
in my opion, with a new bucket (and it throws 2x2 round bricks!).

4806:  Uh, cart of some kind.  1 cor warrior.  Arms totals:  1 brown
spear, 2 broad axes, 2 crossbows.  1 large shield with mad cow, 1 swan
hat.  Rating:  Um, ok.  Lots of arms in it, though.

6096:  Cool set of siege engines!  3 cow warriors, 1 pikeman.  Arms
totals (visable):  5 broad axes, 1 silver broad sword, 1 short sword, 3
lances, 1 crossbow.  5 large shields with mad cow, 2 swan hats, 1 pointy
helmet with chin guard (I always use this for my archers), 1 pikeman
helmet.  1 black horse, 1 brown (is this right?) saddle, 3 horse
helmets.  Notables: large cloth mad cow banner.  Rating:  Good.  I'd
have given it a great, but the siege tower/battering ram, balista, and
two catapults are too much for 3 people!  Balista has those useless
broadaxes on it (fear element, I guess), and the catapults are
stationary (defencive, not offence), but the tower is great!  Except it
has a jail in it.  :)  Or something.  Lacking on small arms, too...  but
I can't get over the siege tower.  :)

Others:  Page 16, there's a grey wagon in the middle, dosn't appear in
any set I could set.  MIGHT be made from parts from the 6096.  Kinda
lame.

Overall:  Good seletion.  Not up to classic castle, but better than some
recent tries.  :)  The remergence of the flip up visors is great!

Well, I think that's enough for now.  :)
jmbrown@mines.edu
http://www.pcisys.net/~jmbrown/