 Castle / 4385
Re: Eastern Invasion (II) continues ...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Sun, 23 Apr 2000 16:40:26 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Chris Gray writes:

Very nice! I like the fact that the structure makes sense as a physical
structure (probably because its a model of a real one!). I also like the
good use of modularity, so that everything can be examined and moved.

Thanks !  Took a little planning but it was well worthwhile.

The exterior is a good model of the real castle, as seen in the photos
you include. Does the interior match up as well? Does the real castle
have the spear trap in the middle section?

I did try to make the interiors somewhat historically accurate. For
instance, the main donjon did not have living quarters.  However,typical
rooms/elements include the kitchen, wells, audience chambers, observation
rooms, defensive rooms and in the specific case of Kumamoto Castle a
last stand room.  There is no proof of a spear trap but I thought that
would go well for a last stand room.

For those who missed the exteriors and would like to see it -

Hmm. If you didn't take the pictures, have you been there in person?

I have not been there in person so the pictures were invaluable as well
as a few books on the subject.  I will have more castle links and reference
book footnotes on my website about mid-week if I can get it all done.
I have been to Himeji Castle (central Japan), the most beautiful and most
developed of the modern castles in Japan and also Hiroshima Castle.
Would love to go to Kumamoto Castle sometime in the future.  I am in contact
with the photographer Mr. Yasuyaki Oka via email and he was pleasantly
surprised to find someone using his photos for a Lego model.  He plans to
put some of my pics on his new and improved Japanese castle website which
I will link to soon.