 Castle / 4376
Re: Wooden guard barracks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build, lugnet.castle
Date:
Sat, 22 Apr 2000 15:52:22 GMT

Hi Shiri!

Shiri Dori <shirid@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:FtFCz0.7G6@lugnet.com...

I'm not sure what you mean by curtain wall, I'm not familiar with that • term.
Can you explain what that is?

In a small castle, the entire structure is considered the "keep."  This is
where the interior spaces lie.  However, in a larger castle, the structure
is actually a complex of smaller buildings, the largest of which is usually
the "keep" (basically similar to a small, compact castle).  Then, there
might be chapels, stables, servants quarters, etc.  Each of these units is
often in a separate building.

Surrounding all the buildings is the "curtain wall"  This is simply a "big
wall" that surrounds and protects everything.

A famouse castle of this type is in England and is called Windsor Castle.
Here is a link:

http://www.camelotintl.com/heritage/castles/windsor.html

Unfortunately, they don't have any arial shots, but you can probably find
some on the web that show how there is a wall around a large complex of
buildings.

Hope that helps,

Brad