 Castle / 4320
Re: Bull's Attack (6096)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Thu, 20 Apr 2000 20:26:22 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.castle, Dominik Dabrowski writes:
Got set 6096 yesterday.  A good collection of siege weapons.  My only problem
with it is that it only come with four mini figs (3 Bulls, 1 Lion prisoner).
A couple more Bull soldiers to man the weapons would have been good.

Now I have to go build them a castle to attack...

Has anyone bought the castle (6091) yet?  How is it?

I recently bought King Leo's Castle <set:6091>, and it's actually not bad.  (I
liked it enough that I went out and bought another one yesterday!)  It
includes a decent set of figs and an acceptable number of pieces (524), which
seems a bit lower than the piece count in castle sets of the recent past.

This set definitely has some good play-ability to it.  My friends even
commented that "it kind of _looks_ like a castle" when they saw it, which is
high praise for a stock TLC design since they are so stingy (IMHO) with their
bricks.  (The final model definitely looks as if they trimmed a few bricks off
of it here and there before they boxed it up.)

I was at first turned off by the large molded-painted-baseplate-BURP-thingie
that the structure sits upon, but it has definitely grown on me.  I also like
the modular building instructions -- the castle is built in smaller parts that
each click independently onto the BURP-plate.  The booklet also provides
instructions for combining two of the smaller sections into a taller lookout
tower.  When the model is built, the figs and extra accessories can be easily
stored in the "basement" (dungeon?) of the castle.  I was able to build the
entire model at a leisurely pace in about an hour-and-a-half.

I've taken to calling this set "King Leo's Summer Cottage", because it still
looks like a tent with a canvas deficiency to me, especially when it sits
beside my castle MOC.  But I think the model itself is more evocative of a
castle than other recent "castle" offerings that I've had the pleasure of
tearing into.

As a source of basic parts, it's definitely pricey when compared to the recent
clearance blow-outs on older sets like the Night Lord's Castle <set:6097>, or
the Flying Ninja Fortress <set:6093-1>.  But you get a lot of parts in the
current castle theme that would otherwise be hard to come by.  Notably the
arch piece for the main gate, the various flags and banners, and the figures.
(I think most of the other pieces in this set, including the "stained glass"
are available in the smaller sets, often at better $$$/piece ratios.)