 Castle / 2680
    Re: Viking Hats —Jeff Johnston
   (...) Eric, you are completely right. No horns on Viking helmets, historically speaking. The Celts, on the other hand, sometimes did have horns. The Viking helmets I've seen were most like the classic Castle 'vader' helmets, conical and with a (...) (24 years ago, 18-Feb-00, to lugnet.castle)

        Re: Viking Hats —Tony A. Rowe
     (...) Removing the 'flare' from a 'vader' helm would make an acceptable nasal helm, much like those used by Vikings and Normans alike. Normans would often wear a mail coif underneath this helm to protect their necks, shoulders, and all of their head (...) (24 years ago, 18-Feb-00, to lugnet.castle)

         Re: Viking Hats —Bruce Schlickbernd
      (...) The much reviled bat-wing helmet isn't too far off of some viking helmets if you slice off the bat wings. I intend to perform some further surgery on a few of these to see what I can come up with. Bruce (24 years ago, 18-Feb-00, to lugnet.castle)

         Re: Viking Hats —Dave Schuler
     (...) Doesn't the flare represent mail? I've always thought so, and it could be argued that it does so on the new kettle helms, too... Dave! (24 years ago, 19-Feb-00, to lugnet.castle)

        Re: Viking Hats —John J. Ladasky, Jr.
   (...) You're both right -- haven't you seen Mel Brooks' classic movie, "History of the World, Part One"? At the end of the film, we get a sneak preview of (never-made, and most likely never intended to be made) "History of the World, Part Two." (...) (24 years ago, 18-Feb-00, to lugnet.castle)