 Castle / 21012
Re: round windows
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Mon, 29 Aug 2005 16:44:20 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Marc Nelson Jr." <marcnelsonjr@gmail.com>
To: <lugnet.castle@lugnet.com>
Sent: Monday, August 29, 2005 1:58 PM
Subject: Re: round windows

In lugnet.build, Daan Bargerbos wrote:
Hello happy builders,

fiddling around with round windows I came up with some new creations.

The construction for round windows was found in this folder:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=114824 (hanibal).
Playing around with these round windows,
I came up with the idea of using a Turntable 2 x 2 Plate, Base
(3680) that makes a perfect frame for the round window.
Now the top is removed from teh turntable,
there is exactly space for 4 trans plates 1x1 (round or square)
to suggest a stained glass window.
Nice side-effect is that the total is not thicker than 2 bricks.

deeplinks:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Debarg/Windows/001roundwindowsfront.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Debarg/Windows/002roundwindowsback.jpg

I don't know if anyone ever has come up with this idea of making
a round framed window. Sure I like to take credits for this idea,
but let me know if there has been someone else who has to be credited :-)

The same idea is also incorporated in a cathedral vignet (try out):
deeplink:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Debarg/vignet/001cathedraltowerfront.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Debarg/vignet/002cathedraltowerfront.jpg
(see for explaing text:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Debarg/vignet/readme1st.txt)

Please feel free to use this ideas in any kind of your mocs
and please let me know what you think.

Folder after moderation:

Daan Bargerbos

Great stuff, Daan!

You can also (just barely) fit a wheel into that round window, as I have
in one
of my <http://news.lugnet.com/castle/?n=19558 medieval houses>.

I've also used the turntable bottom as a
<http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=885385 mullion> before,
but it
looks even better in the round space, especially with the stained glass.

Marc Nelson Jr.

<http://www.lugnet.com/~326/
<http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/manjr/LUGNET/thumblink.jpg Marc's
Creations>>

Hi Marc Belson Jr.,

thanks for the compliment!
I've seen your wheel in a round chamber a time ago,
and tried it myself. I thought it really was clammed,
but maybe I haven't build it the right way.

I hadn't seen your buildings with the turntable bottom before,
and think they are very nice!
I especially like the way you used the different shades of gray
in all that plates build into the church. It is really 'brickish' now.

Daan