 Castle / 20380
Re: lattice windows
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Thu, 14 Oct 2004 14:16:19 GMT

In lugnet.build.arch, Daan Bargerbos wrote:
   Using the lattice windows for church buildings often gave me the feeling of coming up with too small or too low windows.

Looking for solutins I came up with three variations.

I. With this picture in mind: http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Debarg/Windows/stainglassedwindow.bmp (deeplink) (who can help me out where this one came from? I would be happy to show my debts)

I tried to make a double kind and extended it with a 2 x 6 arch. I also added a shutter: http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Debarg/Windows/latticewindows014.jpg (deeplink) http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Debarg/Windows/latticewindows015.jpg (deeplink)

I like the concept, but think it better fits in with a castle type of building, instead of a church.

II. Then I came up with this piece: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemPic.asp?P=30036

and made this nice window out of it: http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Debarg/Windows/latticewindows016.jpg (deeplink) http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Debarg/Windows/latticewindows017.jpg (deeplink)

I’m happy to have found use of this big wing, aside of using it in space mocs. (Do I see here another link between space and castle? ;-))

III. After that I thought of using this piece: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemPic.asp?P=4151

and came up with the largest version, and in my opinion with a very decent kind of church window, easily filled with trans-plates to make the impression of stained glass windows:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Debarg/Windows/latticewindows011.jpg (deeplink) http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Debarg/Windows/latticewindows010.jpg (deeplink)

In this picture you can see all three of them: http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Debarg/Windows/latticewindows009.jpg

As always, let me know what you think!

Thanks

Daan Bargerbos

Wow - Those are great windows!

I had been using the 8x8 lattice for windows, but it never occured to me to put stained glass in them. What an improvement:

When (if) I ever get my church finished, I will be sure to give you credit. Thanks, Daan.

Marc Nelson Jr.