 Castle / 19752
Re: A Tree (New pictures)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Mon, 3 May 2004 07:29:36 GMT

Mark Bellis wrote:
I've experimented, particularly with branching.  A real tree probably branches
at a smaller angle than 90 degrees, so I built a structure from your pictures
and altered it slightly.
This depends on the kind of tree, but basically you are right.

Whewre a sub-branch starts, replace the two 1x3 plates on the main branch with
1x4s, keeping the sub-branch closest to the trunk and putting the next main
branch 1x3 on the end as usual, leaving a hole on the 3rd stud of the 1x4 plate.
Remove the 1x1 round plates from the Technic plate and squeeze the branches
together - they should go to about 60 degrees, forming a Vee shape, when the
technic plate hits the stud of the 1x4 plate on the main branch.
I'll give it a try. Thanks for this feedback! This is how information
exchange on the net should work...

Now make sure that the next leaves on each branch are on the outside of the Vee,
and continue alternating as before.  This will leave a hole with no greenery in
the Vee between the branches but I think this is realistic.
I usually place the greens where there is sufficient space, so I
wouldn't have placed them on the inside, anyway.

I made a branch with two sub-branches, total 12 leaves.  A tree made of these
would be 46ft (14m) diameter!  At the moment I can't manage more than one more
branch that size, but I'll start with smaller trees, probably 2 or 3 leaves per
branch.  I want some trees about 20ft high (50 plates) to start with and we'll
see how the stock of leaves goes.
A quick look in my crystal ball tells me that the stock of leaves will
go down quite rapidly ;D

A branch with only a few leaves is only good when you leave out the
arches and start the branch with a 1x4, an 1x2 & 1y1 round and another
1x4 instead of the arch & the 1x4. Believe me, my first tree was just
like what you proposed, and I ended up with too large gaps between the
rows of branches. The tree basiaclly looked like a badly plucked chicken...

A parameter that has to be taken into account from the very beginning
besides "How high?" and "What shape?" is the "vertical density". If you
work with the arches as start points, you can only place a branch in one
direction about every other brick. So basically, the branches must be
long enough not only to cover the side where they are pointing to, but
also a little bit to the left and right. Or else its plucked chicken time.

I see enough leaves for 3 of your trees are available on Bricklink.  It'll cost
you about $900 though!!!
Weeell, if my source was right, I'll get my hands on another 1500 new
leaves for about $80 in a few weeks...

Another hint - something I only thought of when I first moved the tree:
stabilize the trunk by making it hollow and use some technik bars as
vertical interconnectors in the center.

If we keep up this discussion, we'll end with the one or other
formidable tree.

Other links on the topic of Lego trees:

The fabulous trees by Oliver Goubeau, who had the unfair advantage of
working as an intern at Lego and thus had no problems to acquire the raw
materials. His trees were the best source of inspration, although he
could not provide additional photos.
<http://perso.wanadoo.fr/olivier.goubeau/contenu/trees/treesA.htm>

Some very nice, but smaller trees and hedges, propably best used for
fruit-bearing cultivated growth with instructions by an AFOL names "fifi".
<http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=43201>

Bens gallery of trees he uses as background decorations for his train
layouts. He focuses on stability, as can be seen on the picture with the
boat weight. Several not-so-dense trees can easily make a dense forest.
<http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=12170>

Thekla provided this photo of a propably untransportable tree.
<http://www.robothek.de/Pfaueninsel/PF5.jpg>

Andreas Haase built this nice forest.
<http://www.1000steine.de/iscc/iscc2/entries/012/06.jpg>
His ISCC II gallery has some more nice shots.
<http://www.1000steine.de/iscc/iscc2/entries/012/picture.pl?search=01&header=nr&method=exact>

Yours, Christian