 Castle / 19683
Re: A Tree
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Thu, 22 Apr 2004 15:39:25 GMT

Jason Spears wrote:
The tree was impressive next to your inn. This is [really] impressive. I'm not
sure I have 800 of that piece at all, never mind in one tree.
As I said, it took some time and effort to get the pieces.

Well done.
Thank you.

It would be great to see it next to the inn, or some minifigs to get a better
> sense of scale.
The Inn is currently boxed, as I am working on the rear part of that
scenario at the moment (The inn as depicted in the gallery is only the
front part, with way more to come). I will add more pictures today (if
my wife gives me leave), showing an additional 16x32 baseplate with a
path, a few minifigs and a cart.

I'd love to have some trees this big in MichLUG's caslte layout, but
since I haven't see this piece at a US pick-a-brick yet, I guess I'll have to
stick with a <http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=732362 bunch> of
smaller trees.
I learned during the research for and design of the tree that there is a
significant difference wether you build one singular tree or a group of
trees forming a small forest. A forest would need a totally different
design approach.

I'll add some "How to do" pictures later on, as I did with the first
version of the tree (in a different gallery, though), so feel free to
copy my design.

If I could get my hands on significant amounts of leaves (i.e. >1000
oder even >2000), I'd build the outskirts of a forest near the rear of
the inn, but the trees there would be way smaller and much more simple.

Nontheless, I still need more leaves even if I never build the forest
(this project left me more or less empty-handed) for the hedges and
apple trees that will be left of the inn (if seen from the road). So
I'll have to find a suitable source, or to collect over time...

Yours, Christian