 Castle / 19682
Re: A Tree
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Thu, 22 Apr 2004 13:27:43 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Christian Treczoks wrote:
   Once upon a time I built a castelish setting called “The Inn at the Olde Road”, which (among others) featured a large tree in the inns courtyard. The album with the Olde Inn and the first version of the tree can be seen here: http://festum.de/1000steine/myimages/album216.

But even then, the tree was way to small for my taste (from the very beginning of the design, long, long before I even considered to build it from Lego bricks one day, the primary attribute of the tree was “Wow! Big!”).

Collecting pieces takes time, but now - just in time for the Mülheim exhibition - I managed to finish a complete overhaul of the tree.

A new design of branches and sidebranches, the splitting of the main trunk, more green (way more!) all added up to a tree that can also be used as a standalone MOC in its own right.

http://festum.de/1000steine/album/album193/imgp0043_half.sized.jpg

About 60cm (2ft) high, it’ll take a Lego Technik scaffolding for safe transport, which will be a problem in itself, as the tree easily exceeds the 32x32 baseplate ist has been set into. A good 800 pieces of “Plant Leaves 6x5 (2417)” went into this tree (leaving me at about a handful), as well as about 1500 plates 1x3 in black, bringing this tree to a piece count of about 3200-3500.

Just a little tree for a castle scenario: http://festum.de/1000steine/myimages/album193

The tree was impressive next to your inn. This is really impressive. I’m not sure I have 800 of that piece at all, never mind in one tree. Well done. It would be great to see it next to the inn, or some minifigs to get a better sense of scale. I’d love to have some trees this big in MichLUG’s caslte layout, but since I haven’t see this piece at a US pick-a-brick yet, I guess I’ll have to stick with a bunch of smaller trees.

Jason Spears | BrickCentral | MichLUG