 Castle / 19393
Re: Call for LEGO Castle Techniques
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Sun, 29 Feb 2004 21:40:51 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Leonard Hoffman wrote:
Jason, I dont really understand what your project is exactly.  It seems you
want to database all castle-related structures in a way similiar to frank
filz's old site http://www.mindspring.com/~ffilz/Lego/castle.html (which has
mainly broken links).

is that correct?

No, my site is not a complete survey of Castle-related creations.  From the
introduction on my page:

  This dictionary links to techniques for building medieval and ancient
  details in LEGO. It collects methods of creating realistic models, not
  necessarily the models themselves. This is meant as a reference to
  improve the building skills of the LEGO Castle community. So, I'd rather
  list a page that took a model and dissected it, than a page that just
  showed pictures of a completed model.

My page has a much more narrow scope: I only link to pages that describe
specifically how to implement a detail (eg, instructions or discussion of an
architectural feature, not entire models), or to representative examples of
medieval or ancient things that aren't familiar to most people today (eg, parts
of a castle, or siege weapons).  This means that I won't link to large completed
structures, collect every variety of cart, catalog all the interior details of
castle MOCs, or index unrelated threads in the forums.

It's not that common for people to give inventories, set instructions,
and evaluations of alternative pieces in surveys of alternate ways of building a
single feature.  It does happen, and it's very useful for others, but it's much
more common to just present completed models.  I'm looking for the detail
discussions, not the completed models.

I don't link to models that don't look realistic: for example, a cannon wagon
whose entire roof must be swung up on a hinge in order to shoot above the horses
pulling it.  I'll remove links if it looks like two of my links point to the
same basic structure, since again I'd like to representative, not comprehensive.
And, if it looks like I'm starting to get away from the castle theme, I'll cut
that out too.

Frank's site looks to be a comprehensive map of the castle world, and I'm not
interested in creating something like that.  The closest thing I found on his
site was his "details" page, but that has a lot of stuff that seems either
trivial (eg, using coffee stirrers as pikes) or non-historic to me.  I will not
list everyone's custom factions, only some representatives of historical armies.
I limit my page to a technical reference for people to see, for example, how to
build hoardings on top of their castles, what an onager looks like and does, or
how a Roman soldier appears in LEGO.

I understand the risks of just linking: links can easily disappear.  But I
figure if I keep all the links on my page purple in my browser, then I can find
the broken ones in a reasonable amount of time.  Also, I mostly link to forum
discussions, since they tend to last as long as the forum.