 Castle / 18556
18555  |  18557
Subject:
Why we need a true castle theme
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Tue, 18 Nov 2003 18:59:20 GMT

Hi all,

One of the common arguments in the thread on possible Bionicle/castle hybrids is
that if we want real castles we can build them ourselves.  I agree.  From my own
building portfolio I obviously don't think we need a Lord of the Rings official
theme to build Tolkien-related creations.  However, I do think there are three
good reasons why we really need a true (minifig scale, non-juniorized) castle
theme.

1.  Minifigs and accessories -- Yes, basic bricks and plates, with a few arches
and slopes, and an occasional door or arched window, is really all we need to
build a castle, but who will live there?  There are a very few people who use
paint or stickers to make excellent custom figures (and thank you Anthony for
the sticker templates on classic-castle.com), but for the rest of us it is hard
to generate a medieval population.  Yes, we can mix and match torsos from SW,
HP, and Adventurers Orient Expedition lines, but true castle sets would make it
much easier to build armies.  A new castle line might also introduce new
accessories (like the Orient Expedition introduced the scimitar) (again, there
are a very small number of custom accessories builders--Isaac Yue, Jeff Byrd,
etc).

2.  Inspiration -- Yes, we get inspiration from everywhere, but a well designed
set is an inspiration to MOC creation.  Think of all the great medieval village
houses that echo the design of the MOC Blacksmith Shop (and yes, this design
obviously existed before it was an official TLC set, but the release as an
official set gave it vastly wider exposure).

3.  The kids -- Don't forget about the kids.  How do we become interested in the
theme in the first place?  Because of the great sets we started out on, mostly
as kids.  Yes, in every theme the AFOL builders go far beyond the original
official line, but the official line was the starting place.  If we want castle
to have a viable future, we need a constant infusion of new builders.  An
official line would promote this.  (The one real exception to this is Mecha, who
had no official line unless you count the recent things like Throwbots,
Bionicle, and now the Robobots Creator sets.)

Obviously, those of us in this forum will go on building castle MOCs regardless.
Heck, I already have plenty of figs, etc.  I would never have to buy another set
and still have plenty to build with.  But for the them to grow and thrive, we
need the infusion of a new official line.

Bruce