 Castle / 17405
Re: The Duel Release: CastleQuest and Uldeseen!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Wed, 9 Jul 2003 13:36:33 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Alex Polimeni wrote:

   In lugnet.castle, Leonard Hoffman wrote:

   Eh, did you read? That was the first draft script, not the finished product. > its going to have to be tested alot too.

   But what I really don’t get is the purpose behind some of the rules. For example, you state that >> once a character founds a town, that character can never leave.

That would simplyfy things up, yeah. I was thinking that if you stil wanted > to use that character..,

Well, Alex has taken an important step by asking for volunteers, but what is needed now is some beta-testing on his part as well, especially with any rules regarded by you or anyone else as questionable. Perhaps an idea here is to highlight the rules the community finds to be in contradiction to the general rules, of little importance or too harsh - then suggest their omittion?

   example, but many places have rules like this - seemingly arbitary. My point is this, one of the things I liked about IOM was that it left ALOT (as in, almost all) of freedom to the individual players to decide what to >> do and how to do it.

I’m not much to having the session pretty much decided in terms of play, and yes, this should be up the player mostly. With this said, it’s relevent now to give the GM a more relaxed role in the oversight oif a context. Remmeber, the GM shoud guide the player into scenerios and certain conflicts, not push him to the edge of a cliff. (at one point, they may bail.)

   Yeah, and only good things happened and you had total control over everything. the total control prospect is SUPPOST to be eliminated. sure you have control somewhat but the main point is is that you cant just deside how everything will happen.

   CastleQuest relies heavily on a GM to control the game.

However, it shouldn’t rely far too heavily. An attracting feature to any game is variability, meaning that a player should never know what to expect when they take up and start a session. It is probably this aspect (and ease of rules) which makes many of them to return for another session. With too much power for a GM, the game would be easier to predict, IMO.

   Er, yeah. it would be totally pointless if there was no GM. The GM controls > what you encounter.

   To be honest, this doesn’t sound like something that would be a lot of fun >> to do, unless one were already into D&D and similiar stuff. I’d like to see some sort of group castle LEGO story/game, and perhaps Castle Quest can >> become that, but right now, I don’t think it is.

As mentioned before, what is needed in this case is a series or testings, and reviewing of the rules. When I drafted out the earlier version, I was pretty much interested in the trade of storytelling between parties (shown by reports, or journal entries for a party).

   As i said, that is a first draft script. its SUPPOST to be a story/game. What do you propose? Ditch CQ and start over?

Nah, all that’s really needed is to scrap the rules which don’t make any sense or may potentially draw away players and work with what you have. Characters don’t need large reserves of spells, pages of formulas or set guidelines on how to build or run a city. (What if someone created a series of tenaments and crumbling houses just for fun? Yes, events and locations out of the ordinary definitely get people curious, it’s almost like a player sponsored scavenger hunt. all you need to do is raise the red flag and state. “Hmm...according to the latest telegram, some merchants were alleged to have spied what appears to be some crumbling ruins over by highway no 27. Coincidentialy, the archeolgical society is offering a reward for any information/ artifacts found.”)

Viola, instant mission, all courtesy of your public forum!

How this might work:

Establish a small text document for each major township in which players can view when they’re in the vicinity of the city. (offering missions, hiring stints, rewards, opportunities, etc) Players could add messages to the forum by contacting the GM.

I’m not exactly certain on how something of that effect would be implemented, though. Maybe the text document of the forum would be available for players through the GM when they’re in such a city? Hmm...there’s something to work with.

I like the governship point idea, but I’d rather go with one or two points before setting up a city.

   I’m sorry to be a downer, and to be critical. However, I do believe this concept can be improved into something that looks like it would be fun.

Eh, thats the point. THIS IS JUST A BEGGINING POINT!

I’m sure with a series of revisions, this project will evolve to something more variable and player-friendly. Keep at it, though! You’ve shown persistance by keeping at the project, Alex.

Looking forward to any future updates!

Osprey, over and out

M. Aaron Hein

http://www.lugnet.com/~1112/Creations/