 Castle / 15100
Re: My Medieval Town : First 5 Buildings
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Thu, 21 Nov 2002 23:08:39 GMT

hey Carl,
  These are some great models!  Quite detailed, yet compact and attractive.  An
excellent beginning in a big project!  the shops are also interesting in
themselves, especially the Shop of the 12 masks.. which it seems are bionicle?
An interesting description you write of it, but i would like to know more
about the inspiration with using those pieces, and also how they represent
within the lego-medieval world.

like i said above, really good stuff and i eagerly await more.

one last thing, the reason why im writing this after a couple days of the post
is the time it takes for brickshelf to moderate. i'd recommend releasing
"teaser" shots of the buildings you make so that we can have an early look
inside, and thus make us go back in a few days to get the full details.

peace
-lenny

In lugnet.castle, Carl Billen writes:
Hi,

Inspired by the Medieval Marketplace and Town ideas, I started building.  I
finally finished five buildings, and here they are:

You can see an overview of my 'town' at the moment in this picture:

One central idea of the town is that the shops have to be built on 16x16
baseplates (or multiples, but currently I have only used the 16x16
baseplate), and that you need two studs for the back alley, and two studs in
front.  You may not build outside your 16x16 space, so you only have a
limited overhang for roofs and poles and banners.  If your building is a
real shop, you better see to it that it is heated during cold winter days,
so you need a fireplace and chimney.  That's about all there is to 'building
rules'.

My town is maintained by a set of Guilds, which are each defined by an
animal.  For example, the Guild of the Bull are the ones that process raw
materials like wood and metal, so the blacksmith, armorer, cooper and bowyer
all belong to that Guild.  The Guild of the Bat has the alchemists,
astrologers, cartographers and scientists.  The Guild of the Dragon consists
of the magic users, while the Guild of the Lion is the 'police force', the
protectors of the town.  The Guild of the Snake consists of the healers,
herbalists and florist, while the Guild of the Serpent (which, as you can
suspect, has ties with the Guild of the Snake) is the assassin's guild.  The
Guild of the Wolf provies the hunters, trackers and scouts while the Guild
of the Bird sees to it that mail and other packages are delivered in time;
they are the couriers.  The final guild does not have an animal as a symbol,
but an obscure sign; it is the Guild of Worship, which consists of the
religious caste.  The final 'building rule' is that each shop much show its
allegiance to its guild.  Because the shops are owned by the Guilds, there
is no living space, because all the people live somewhere else; after all,
this is the shopping quarter.  That's why all the shops are one-story • buildings.

The first building I built was the Cooper (maintained by Boris the • Barrelmaker).
It was the first shop I built, and I learned quickly that 16x12 (the
available space to build) is very little space.  So this results in an extra
challenge of trying to fill the interior of the shop as well as possible.
The barrelmaker needed of course barrels, and I also gave him a couple of
logs so that he could make his barrels in the meantime; this way the shop is
also the workplace.  I particularly like how I built the chimney, by using 4
of those panel corners.  The shields I had the most of were the Bull
shields, so that's why the cooper became part of the Bull guild ;-)

The second building was The Three Bats (maintained by Aurum the Alchemist).
I wanted to make a shop which felt very cozy and crowded, with lots of
shelves and potions and undefinable ingredients.  I was even more happy that
I managed to stash away a cauldron on the fireplace...  My idea was to make
a grey building, built of solid bricks to prevent it collapsing after some
explosion when adding two potions together.  When I finished it, I was
pretty sure the building would not collapse after an 'unfortunate accident'
but explosions would be disastrous for all the bottles inside :-)  So here I
have a grey building on the outside, but a load of colours on the inside.
It was easy to decorate the shop with bats because I decided that if an
alchemist can turn anyone in a frog, they can change them into a bat, and I
had a shield with a bat on it and that's why the alchemists belong the the
Guild of the Bat.

The third building was something completely different.  I didn't want to
build a building with a chimney, and I was sorting my Bionicle Krana
masks...  And then I thought of making a chapel-like structure.  And so the
Chapel of the 12 Masks was born:
While building it I wanted a kind of contrast and decided to make it very
colourful on the inside (not difficult with twelve different coloured masks,
and some flowers) while the outside whould be mainly grey...  I decided to
make a kind of sunset/sunrise, showing half a sun, a going from a light grey
to black.  This is not so visible on the front, but on the inside and the
back it worked out pretty OK.  It isn't heated, (so you see, you can
circumvent 'building rules' all the time) but I don't think there were that
many churches and chapels with a fireplace in the Middle Ages.  I used the
Star Wars shield because it had a weird symbol on it, and that way I could
'catalog' the religious caste into my Guild system.

The fourth building was my first 'corner building': The Crossed Bows
(maintained by 'One-eyed' Firbin).
Well, I just wanted to make a corner building so that I could see how the
back alley would look like.  I actually built the roof first, resulting in a
central fireplace.  One thing you will notice when building little buildings
like this that you want to try to add variation to it by making different
roofs and putting the fireplace in different places.  I had some trouble
initially getting rid of all my different coloured bows, crossbows and
quivers but I managed it in the end.  I decided to make the shopkeeper with
the standard Bulls 'uniform' but I gave him one eye to add character.
Because this is an 'outside corner building' (the front of the building is
bigger than the back) I only have a 2x2 space for my back alley.  But when
several buildings are put together it will still result in an alley of 4
studs wide.

The fifth building is the shop of Helena the Healer:
It was actually an exercise in making a building with two rooms, and not in
the standard grey or white colours.  So there I have a room for receiving
sick people and a room with a bed (and a crate full of herbs) for the really
sick people.

My next building will be another corner building, so that I can finally have
an 'alley end'; it'll be a guard house with a back door to get into the
alley.  I am still waiting for the pieces which I ordered from BrickLink, so
it is far from being built yet...

I hope my examples will inspire other people to start building, like the
Medieval Marketplace and Town guidelines did for me.

Comments are always welcome :-)

Have fun!

Carl