 Castle / 149
148  |  150
Subject:
Shouting in Caps (was: Re: REGARDING A MESSAGE A FEW DAYS AGO.)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 3 Oct 1999 22:46:12 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Mike Stanley writes:
JOHN NEWTON <CACTUS03@AOL.COM> wrote:
[snipped John Newton's message shouting in all-caps]

I guess you need to examine your motives behind posting and whether
or not you want anyone to read your posts and interact with you.

I'll be perfectly blunt - I won't read consistent posts in all caps.
Period.  If I need to I'll just killfile you but it's also easy to
just skip them.  So if I see another all caps post from you without
a reasonable explanation of the cause like the ones Larry mentioned
(very rare), I'll just write you off.

If enough people decide to not bother reading your messages because
they're in all caps and thus difficult to read, you know what?  If
you need to find a certain piece for a project nobody will bother
helping you.  If you're looking to sell something you probably won't
find any buyers.  If you want to interact with us in any way, and
we're all ignoring you because you choose to type in all caps, then
posting won't make much sense, will it?

Kinda like wandering into a party and screaming at the top of your
lungs.  May not be against the law, but pretty soon people will tune
you out.

John, (if you're listening),

Although there are (currently) no rules here about shouting in all-caps,
if you do disturb the peace often enough (i.e., starting flamewars or
generating visible complaints by your repeatedly posting in all-caps),
then it's likely that you'll find yourself being shown the door for being
a nuisance.  Either that or the rules may have to be changed to make this
sort of general common netiquette more explicit.

This is the 90's (hey, almost the 00's), not the 70's.  There is really no
reason anymore to write in all-caps, especially when it is so incredibly
annoying to so many people.

--Todd