 Castle / 14505
14504  |  14506
Subject:
historical accuracy re. factions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Wed, 2 Oct 2002 12:50:30 GMT

Hi all,

Just a quick question for you other medieval military historians out there.
I think most people's lego medieval armies I have seen are made up of a
bunch of factions, each of which is armed with a variety of weapons.  My
army is no exception, most of my factions have at least one unit of missile
troops of some kind, some mounted knights and several types of footman. But
if I were to recreate a more realistic type medival army, would it be more
appropriate to give eachg faction just one type of weapon? So that for
instance, one army could consist of.

Black Falcon spearmen
Forestmen torso type Archers
Lion Crusader Swordsmen
Crossaxe Crusdaers halbardiers
Wolfpack torso enginneers and sappers
And Black Knights mounted knights - or perhaps even have randomised knights,
each with their own individual coat of arms.

Has anyone tried this?

Does anyone know if a feudal lord would have typically trained soldiers in
different kinds of weapons, and if they would then keep his livery when they
actually took part in a battle? Might say all the pikemen from various areas
get bunched together in a single large pike unit and perhaps be given new or
additional livery to wear in a large battle?

just curious

Magnus