 Castle / 12704
Re: A Knight to Remember
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Thu, 28 Mar 2002 05:20:00 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Leonard Hoffman writes:
id betcha very few people have read it because of a few big reasons.

1) the length.  my reading list of printed material is very short and very
elite because of my college reading list (a history major and all).  to take on
a 100+ pg document is simply not on the "to do" list.

2)i often check lugnet at work, where i have internet only priviledges, so i
don't download anything (or else id be fired).  if the story was posted on a
website (lugnet (ftx) sites are amazingly easy to make, and highly
recommended), especially broken into chapters and whatnot, your readership
would jump WAY up.
3)the title.. well, its a pun and a cliche.  it doesn't give me a lot of faith
in what ill be spending my time reading.  i think its a big reason why people
are confused to what the whole story is about.

Alright, I've addressed a few of these issues in previous posts, but I'll do
so again.
1.) Pictures: I am going to be putting pictures into this story but, as the
route message stated, it was a pain in the @88 to do so on the StarWriter
version. If I was to place pictures within the story on that version, the
version that I am taking down, they would have appeared only as downloadable
links, so you still would not have been able to see what the page was
pertaining to. Pictures are easily placed into the Word version of the
story, but up until yesterday, when I posted the route message indicating my
taking down the sunstarwriter version, I only had access to this at work. At
my work, though we have complete and extremely fast internet connections on
our computers, we are not allowed to use the web by any means that are not
business oriented. It is a DSL company, what can I say. Now that I have this
program on my computer at home, I can start to place these pictures in the
story. Another problem with placing pictures within the story is that most
of the story appears in different lands, meaning different homes,
apartments, places I have resided in. If I were to make the pictures true to
the words in the story, I would have to break into these other places, build
up the world of Legoland, take pictures, tear the land apart, and escape.
This would be highly difficult, as you can understand.

2.)The Name: As in your own story, or the Chronicals of Ikros, the name says
it all, depending on your own point of view. The story is about the memories
of a Knight in Legoland, more, he was one of the first Knights created by
the Lego company when minifigs were introduced in 1978. Because of this, the
story is going to be long. My appologies for that, but there is really no
way it could have been shortened and still deliver the impact, or the
memories of all that had happened. Again, this will be more interesting once
there are pictures added, but it is going to take a little bit of time to
get good pictures of everything and situate them throughout the story to
make it understandable. Some of this is based on the fact that I only have a
3Com HomeConnect cammera that, while taking good pictures, is only able to
move nine feet in any direction from the computer. Oh well, I don't mean to
whine and 817(I-I, though I've done a pretty good job at doing so.

In lugnet.castle, Adam Angle writes:
I really wasn't looking forward to it, was actually hesitating in this, as I
did want the story available for people on different word processor systems
to read it, but oh well, I need to add pictures, and Sun Star Writer is a
B17CI-I to put clear, visible pictures into. So then...
The Sun Star Writer manuscript of A Knight to Remember will no longer be
updated. Sorry, I got tired of having to deal with that program. I'm not too
sure how many people are actually even reading this any more, but it seemed,
when Shiri mentioned how long it was, that at least she was using Sun Star
Writer to view the document. I may be wrong about that, I likely am, but the
Sun Star Writer document pages are much shorter than the Word pages.
In any case, if anyone using Sun Star Writer is still reading this beast,
here's a link:

Enjoy it while you can.