 Castle / 12635
Re: The Nameless and a new House
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Thu, 21 Mar 2002 02:45:16 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Kyle Peterson writes:
I wanted to get an early medieval feel, but am somewhat limited by medium.
lego bricks have a hard time distinguishing tudor style from whattle and daub
timber houses.  i've got some design elements that i hope will give the
impression that this is NOT tudor, but something much earlier and simpler.  I
think one of the unifing features of early european architecture is the
overwhelming presence of roof.  most houses were more roof than anything.  i
have expressed this as well.

Lenny, Awesome job. Well noted about the roofs. I am partial to tan plates
(representing thatch) as opposed to black slopes as a medieval roof. Black
LEGO bricks rub me the wrong way in general. It is hard to distinguish any
detail - especially all black castles. Hmmm....tan slopes?

i think im going to use yellow bricks on my next project, a kinda bright
thatch roof.  in the ldraw version (to be posted soon) i did a brown slope
roof.

i used black roof because it is the only color that i had enough of to build
the whole roof (thanks set 10000!!), maybe blue in the future (thanks set
3739!!).

i agree about the lack of detail in all black anything.. part of it is also
because most of us don't have "proper" lighting.  in photography (im a
photographer), a correctly lit and exposed photograph will have detailed
everywhere, darks and lights combined.

I believe you caught the interior of the house *very* well. As far as the
exterior, to make it look less "tudor" and more "daub-sish". Use brown 1x1x5
for the timbers and tan (as opposed to white) for the daub.

i don't have any 1x1x5 browns. is there a set i can get with them in abundance?
ive got a lot of wood pieces from Legoredo, which included a fair number of
1x1 brown, but not enough for a whole house.  it takes an awful lot of pieces
to do a realistically sized house (as evidenced by the 600+ piece count for
3739).

maybe the pictures weren't very good, but i did use tan for the daub, rather
than white.

Great building! Anymore medieval houses coming soon?

you betcha.  i think houses are much more difficult than castles, so im
spending a lot of time trying to develop them as best i can.  im also more
interested in the lives of the people of the medieval ages rather than
the military elite, so im focusing there.

thanks for the input.  you are very kind, but i did ask for scathing
criticism.. tisk tisk

peace
-lenny