 Castle / 12594
Re: Web Site Questions (& Updates)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Sat, 16 Mar 2002 01:09:49 GMT

In lugnet.castle, William Movish writes:
The Kingdom of Gatimrja
http://home.earthlink.net/~ynpw/index.html

What are the best ways to publicize a lego castle site and get more traffic?

Castle isn't the main focus on my site, though my Space and Train stuff gets
seen every time I post a new MOC.  In general, people don't seem to care
much about character bios.  Stories *can* be a big draw, and they become a
lot more interesting as you add more images.  Yours has a great balance here.

I find it also helps when you provide direct links to the new content.
Regardless of how easy it is for you to navigate your own site, someone
unfamiliar with it will lose time poking around trying to find what you are
showing them.  That can be a good thing, as they get to discover what else
you have.  But for the most part, it is frustrating to have to remember 3
links and go back to the article for instructions on how to get to the new
stuff.

Is there a more elegant way to call attention to the Alt text under the
images for the Character & Creature portraits?  I want to put a little
notice at the top of those sections, so people know there are quotations
that accompany the images, but I haven't found a way to word it so that it
doesn't sound too techy or just unwieldy.

I wouldn't call attention to it at all.  It's kinda cute, and I think it
makes a good subtle addition if you leave it as it is now.  If you really
want people to see the quotes, you shouldn't put it in alt text anyway.  Not
all browsers support that.

Are any of the pages too big?  The creatures page is scheduled to be broken
up a bit once all the text is written, but how is its size now?

It may be physically long, but it isn't overly image-intensive and so it
loads quickly.  You can always put name anchors for each entry and a list of
links at the top to jump straight to each creature, kind of like you did
with the History page.  One alternative would be to have them categorized
with undead on one page, underwater guys on another, or something like that.
Or you could keep them all on one page, but use thumbnail images.  Click on
that to get to the detailed description and larger image.

And, just out of curiosity, are there any characters that anyone likes a
lot?  The story is going to be a bit free-form for a while, and if there
were a character more popular than the rest, he/she/it could be given more
screen time (so to speak).

You could have some fun with the king.  Perhaps a young and naive knight
could meet the king and discover that things in the castle are not as they
seem from the trenches.  Thlaghhusht looks interesting as well, as does
Erulf.  But what's important is that you write about a character that *you*
like.  You are a lot more likely to put some life into him if you have some
ideas already.

And the site looks great.  Keep up what you are doing!

--
Tony Hafner
www.hafhead.com