 Castle / 12313
  medieval village book?

I've spent the better part of my evening trying to find a book with good pictures of houses from the medieval period. I'd like primarily pre-Tudor style (cerca 1000, rather than cerca 1500), and also an emphasis on peasant and burgher houses rather (...) (22 years ago, 19-Feb-02, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: medieval village book?

Hi Lenny, Just the other day I was noticing the same thing: That most Lego MOC Castle Villages focus on the Tudor style, as does the Guarden Inn. If I recall correctly, such a style was not popular until late in the middle ages, and even then not (...) (22 years ago, 19-Feb-02, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: medieval village book?

(...) I think you're right, the Tudor period itself was actually the period immediately after the middle ages (in England). I generally find myself building in a late medieval style anyway (as I think most of us do whether by chance or design), the (...) (22 years ago, 19-Feb-02, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: medieval villages

Wattle & Daub architechure is older than one might think, some believe back as far as the 1100s. The process merely consists of mud being placed around a wooden skeleton/frame. The roof was made of thatch/grass/twigs. Not really that advanced. (...) (22 years ago, 19-Feb-02, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: medieval villages

Heheh. I like the "FunFact", Kyle... Just did a quick search on the Web for "wattle and daub", and two sites that might interest people are: -Reconstruction of 2-story cottage with photos of building: (URL) info on peasant cottages, including (...) (22 years ago, 20-Feb-02, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: medieval village book?

(...) Lenny, you might want to give David Macualay's (sp?) _Castle_ a try. It focuses primarily on the construction of a castle, from meager beginnings to the glorious final result, through sketches. VERY awesome book. It has a lot of villiage (...) (22 years ago, 20-Feb-02, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: medieval villages

So true that most buildings depended on the resources/supplies in the area. Strange how that applies to us LEGO-builders as well. "Darn it! I ran out of 2x2 gray bricks!" *gets out the 2x2 gray corner bricks and 1x1 gray bricks* Thanks for the (...) (22 years ago, 20-Feb-02, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: medieval villages

(...) Great half-timber stuff, Kyle! Do you have any more pics of those elephants? -Marc Nelson Jr. (22 years ago, 20-Feb-02, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: medieval villages

Kyle, Looks great so far! ...I sure wish I had more of that style window, but as you say, we work with the resources we have... ;) ...The elephants look awesome too!! -H. (...) (22 years ago, 20-Feb-02, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: medieval villages

(...) panes? -- Pawel (22 years ago, 20-Feb-02, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: medieval village book?

(...) Timber-Framed Buildings of England by R.J. Brown is a great book, although it is more focused on the late medieval period than you are looking for. It can probably be found in a big college library. It's also listed on Amazon (with a review by (...) (22 years ago, 21-Feb-02, to lugnet.castle)