 Castle / 12351
Re: medieval village book?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Thu, 21 Feb 2002 14:36:42 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Leonard Hoffman writes:
I've spent the better part of my evening trying to find a book with good
pictures of houses from the medieval period.  I'd like primarily pre-Tudor
style (cerca 1000, rather than cerca 1500), and also an emphasis on peasant
and burgher houses rather than churches and castles (i think ive seen enough
of those!).  If anyone knows of anything off hand, that would be a great help.

I'm going to use them to get some more realistic ideas for new MOCs.
Especially in figuring out how to use all my blue and yellow bricks.  I keep
feeling like all medieval villages are either black, brown, or grey.. with
the occasional white and even less occasional other color.

thanks for the help!
peace
-lenny

Timber-Framed Buildings of England by R.J. Brown is a great book, although it
is more focused on the late medieval period than you are looking for. It can
probably be found in a big college library. It's also listed on Amazon (with a
review by me), but when I tried to order it from them, they said they didn't
have it. Good luck!

-Marc Nelson Jr.