 Castle / 12317
Re: medieval village book?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Tue, 19 Feb 2002 16:12:58 GMT

In lugnet.castle, John P. Henderson writes:

Just the other day I was noticing the same thing: That most Lego MOC Castle
Villages focus on the Tudor style, as does the Guarden Inn.  If I recall
correctly, such a style was not popular until late in the middle ages, and even
then not everywhere.

I think you're right, the Tudor period itself was actually the period
immediately after the middle ages (in England). I generally find myself
building in a late medieval style anyway (as I think most of us do whether
by chance or design), the 1300s and 1400s saw Castle building coming to it's
pinacle. So the tudor style look fits well with my castles. But it's always
nice to build other things in different styles to add some variation.

I have a few books on life during the middle ages that
describe the old wattle and daub and such.  But I have very little in the way
of pictures for inspiring MOCs.

I would very much like to hear if any such books exist...

I don't know of any such book, you could try to have a look at some films of
the period. Braveheart has some various building in it I think. Lots of huts
made with grass roofs and stuff. You could always build structures using the
log wall pieces from Fort Legoredo and maybe the white ones from the Ninja
sets, I imagine that would look pretty authentic.

cheers

Magnus