 Castle / 12003
Re: Reflections on my Lego past
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Fri, 1 Feb 2002 15:04:43 GMT

Sorry if this ambles a bit off the original topic, but you've stirred some
random thoughts in me with this post.

Interesting thoughts. I suppose if I could go back and do it all again, I
would have spent a lot more money on lego as a kid, instead of GIJoe and
Transformers, and and stuff, but then again, those things gave me a lot of
pleasure too. I think having several hobbies is a good thing, it stops you
getting too focussed and locked into a very small world.

I think if I had bought a lot more castle lego as a kid I would have
obviously made much bigger castles then, and have a lot more pieces now, but
I don't think I would have been a happier kid. I also don't think I would
have necesarily have been a better builder as a child, or become a better
builder faster if I had more lego. I look back on stuff I built as a child
and young teenager, and to be honest I think I must have made some really
awesome warplanes. I haven't built a non-castle MOC in years now, I wonder
if I could build as good a warplane today.

I remember my earlier castles. They were limited by me having much fewer
bricks than I have today, but given what I had at the time, I think some of
them were very good, and there are certain features I learned to build 10
years ago that I still generally incorporate into my castles. Obviously,
when it comes to castles, bigger is generally more impressive at the first
glance, but I think there is something to be said for the builder who can
create the best possible MOC with the bricks available at any given time.

As for using castle wall pieces, I still hoard them as much as I can,
especially the light grey ones. I can't see a time in the forseeable futue
when I will build a castle out of pure brick. In fact, if anyone has a huge
urge to get rid of grey wall pieces, I'd be happy to hear from you:)

Magnus