 Castle / 11317
Re: New Building
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Tue, 18 Dec 2001 14:15:40 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Brett Kingery writes:
In lugnet.castle, Brian Kasprzyk writes:
Well, I've had some pieces lying around that I wanted to use to make a new
house.  This is what I came up with.  I called it "Baron Brice's Home"

http://sp-lands.com/whats-new.htm

Hope you all like it!

I currently haven't completed the whole inside, so, I will post those when
it's done.  This house has a removable roof for access.

I love the turret :)

What really made me post though was Sea Spray Fortress :)
I love the design, it's something that uses alot of Castle Wall pieces yet
somehow looks GOOD!  Is there an interior to the fortress, and if so, can
you put up shots of it?

It took me 5 months to collect enough gray brick to complete this castle.
It is over 3 feet long on each side!  The image of the castle was always in
my mind and it came out just the way I wanted, but again, I had to wait 5
MONTHS!  That's when a model really gets fun and annoying.  I could have
tore down 1 of my other castles to finish it, but I am building a 'world' so
all the creations need to stay together.  Eventually, I'll run out of money
and bricks and have to devote time to creating stories.  That's how my web
site originally got created.  Last winter, lots of time and no money. :-)

Oh, and I just looked at your LEGO Inventory.... ummm... uhhh.... yea...
So, tell me, do you buy it all at retail price, or do you get it cheap
somehow.  People always talk about buying their Lego "on sale".  Well,
around upstate New York, at least around Saratoga-Albany area and now here
in Rochester, the only Lego I've ever seen "On Sale" is when K-Mart has the
"20% of" sales.  Otherwise, there's "No such thing as LEGO on sale", and,
well, that would be most of my after tax yearly salary if I did that in one
year right now :)

Good question about my inventory.  Part of the reason I did this was to be
able to have some 'proof' of sets that I own for insurance reasons.
Complete sets account for about half of my total brick count.  I haven't
figured out a great way to log or track all the 'non' set purchases (like
garage sales, Brickbay and Ebay).  I have close to 2000 castle figures, but
only a small portion of that total count is reflected in my inventory.  As
far as getting stuff 'on sale', it's a matter of new or used sets.  I
haven't tracked 'mint in box' or if I even have the box for every set
listed.  I would say 50% of my inventoried sets were bought new.  Of those,
probably 70% of them I purchased on sale.  I have some local second hand
stores that tend to get unopened sets from stores like Target.  For example,
I picked up the Movie Studio (1349) set for $38 and the Vision Command(9731)
set for $.50.  That's right, fifty cents!  They were both new and unopened.
Deals like this are few and far between, but when they happen, they're
great.  Typically though, 20% is the average sale price.

We have Kmart, Target, Fleet Farm, Wal-Mart, Sam's Club, ShopKo, Toy-R-Us,
K-Bee, and several small stores up here that compete with each other, so,
wait long enough and every set eventually is cheaper.  We also have the
Imaginarium Center in The Mall of America.  Every now and then, they'll do a
buy-1-get-1 for 50% off.  I bought the Sopwith Camel (3451) off of that deal.

plucky

p.s. - The interior shots of the Sea Spray are still what I'm interested in
most :)

The castle does open up.  I built the sides to open up like 'wings'.
Currently, very little has been completed on the inside.  I am still
collecting brown elements for the furniture and other areas.  When I finish
it, I will post those pics!  Sometimes it's hard to get motivated to finish
a model because my current goal is to get a nice town built up, so, I have
been working on building 1 model a month (that's my goal currently and all I
have time for too).  Since winter hasn't set in up here in Minnesota (can
still go on the lake and fish!  No ice.) yet, I haven't had any serious
building 'attacks'.  ;-)