 Castle / 1106
Re: Correct Castle 6098 (not 6091)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Thu, 23 Dec 1999 18:28:17 GMT

In lugnet.castle, David Eaton writes:
In lugnet.castle, Dan McNeally writes:
In lugnet.castle, Aaron West writes:
IMHO 6090 is still the king of ALL LEGO Castle sets.
Feel free to comment and suggest improvements to these sets that anyone has
attempted or dreamed.
Happy building!
Merry X-mas!
Aaron>maniac@vol.com

I agree. Although 6085 comes close.

Dan

Hard to include 6085 without including 6080.. they're almost exactly the same
structure, just different colors... they even put the jail cell in the same
corner of the castle!

IMHO I think that 6085 looks better. The black gives it a dark moodiness.

As far as 6090 being the best though, I don't know... I've always objected to
castles being put on huge baseplates... but of the baseplate castles, 6090
certainly is the best in my book... mainly since it's got the whole courtyard
thing going for it, with a dungeon, walkways, four towers, the reflecting • pool,
and two entryways... so it certainly has a lot of cool features to it...

My biggest problems with it though are that it has gaps in construction in a
couple places (it doesn't really seem "secure"), and I never liked the whole
black castle with grey trim color scheme as much as I liked the grey color
scheme. Grey just seems to make more sense.  The only other complaint I have
with 6090 is that it only comes with 9 figs (plus the ghost and the
skeleton)... it just seems rather insufficient to guard a castle with only 9
figs... And add to that the fact that 1 is the king and 2 are knights! So
really only 6 soldiers to defend the castle!

I did'nt like how the back wall was so I put a tower on it. It is a bit weak
on defence and soldiers.
The only other thing I'd add is that none of the baseplate castles are • modular!
The only thing I have against castles like 6080, 6074, 6073, etc, (the
non-baseplate castles) is that they're not big enough in and of themselves...
but that can be easily remedied by opening them up and putting them together!
And when you add in 6067, 6040, and 6041, it makes one HUGE castle with a • whole
bunch of courtyard to do with as you please... AND you get a more randomly • laid
out castle, which is a bit more realistic than being symmetric.

What I think I'd really like to see is a combination-- part raised on
baseplates, part on the 'ground', all built in together.  That would add to • the
unevenness, making it look like it was built on a hill... very cool IMHO...

DaveE

I agree. That would be the best.

Dan