 Castle / 1102
1101  |  1103
Subject:
Correct Castle 6098 (not 6091)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Wed, 22 Dec 1999 23:18:47 GMT

Well, I found all of the new 2000 sets at Wal-Mart under $60, and all the $60
and up sets for 2000 at Toys R Us.  I have picked up all of the Castle series,
including two each of 6026, 6094, 6095 and all the Bulls.  I have finally put
them all together and I have to say that they are all good for parts and my
own Castle creations.  I don't think that any of the main models are
"complete".  6026, 6094 and 6095 are all best for making 6098 (instruction
number) the best it can be.

The baseplate is really only good for a gate-house structure to the 6090 Royal
Knights Castle.  The river printed on the Amazon Adventurer set 5986 would
have been more apropriate, save for the jungle growth.  I do like the
retention of the lion on the shield, as it allows me to place the Royal
Knights within King Leo's kingdom (as knights under the Prince(?) from 6090).
An interesting note, the instructions for most of the new sets show alternate
constructions, and the 6098 set can be altered without reconstructing the
entire castle.  The brown falcon and crossbows are awesome!

Still, while I am happy for the return of European castles, I do feel that
they are much more juniorized.  The gate-house is on an archway that is only
three pieces (!?), which was constructed from many more on 6090, so they cut
out many steps.  I am much happier with the older set.  As a model intended to
be besieged by the Bulls, 6098, there are way too many unprotected entires
(particularly the left and right walls and the central area under the main
keep (is that a dungeon?).  The catapult is poorly placed and none have proper
balance.  I will be using service packs extensively to improve this model, or
scrap it and add it to my pair of 6090 sets for a larger fortress.  I will see
what kind of Castle Accessories pack LEGO will make so I can get some helms
for all those King's I have lying around.

What with the new helm style in these sets, I am hoping that LEGO continues
that trend and makes true basket/bucket style helms for the knights of 2001.
Thanks goodness that enough of the true castle parts are available in cheap
sub-$20.00 sets!  Now I can stock up!

IMHO 6090 is still the king of ALL LEGO Castle sets.
Feel free to comment and suggest improvements to these sets that anyone has
attempted or dreamed.
Happy building!
Merry X-mas!
Aaron>maniac@vol.com