 Castle / 10904
Re: Found a resource! (Was: Re: Cannon?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Wed, 14 Nov 2001 06:08:44 GMT

That's plenty of information, thanks for your help!

In lugnet.castle, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:
In lugnet.castle, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:
In lugnet.castle, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:
In lugnet.castle, Adam Murtha writes:
This is probably a stupid question, but when did cannons come into use?
Would a ship in the 'castle' era have cannons?

  The commonly accepted date for the European adoption of cannon
  is 1327, when one appears (IIRC) on the Bayeux Tapestry

  Correction--oops.  Bayeux Tapestry is the depiction of the
  Battle of Hastings.  I'm thinking of another tapestry, but the
  date is right (1324, 1326, and 1327 are the ones given).

  I just stumbled upon a really cool resource on early, early
  cannon and firearms:

  http://members.sia.net.au/dispater/handgonnes.htm

  It has a picture of said cannon, though in a manuscript rather
  than on a tapestry.  And I apologise for being a CAD by replying
  to my own post not ONCE but TWICE.

  Other resources of note:

  http://scholar.chem.nyu.edu/~tekpages/cannon.html
  (From the Medieval Technology Pages, a useful resource for all
   lo-technophiles)

  http://www.hyw.com/books/history/cannon.htm
  (Technical discussion of early cannon)

  http://60centuries.copper.org/middle4.html
  (Copper and brass guns)

  Lots of others exist, of varying quality.  Hope this helps!

  best

  LFB