 Castle / 10792
10791  |  10793
Subject:
Posting
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 2 Nov 2001 04:52:45 GMT

Ok - I usually don't read general posts, but this one really got me thinking
more about what has been on my while for the past few months:

http://news.lugnet.com/general/?n=33776

So my question is - where does one draw the line on posts and replies?
What is actually beneficial vs. just noise ... ?  I personally have adopted
the following philosophy:

1)  Post whenever I have a new creation.
2)  Reply to a newcomer who just posted for the first time.
3)  Post to answer a question - only if I get to it 1st though :)
4)  Reply to someone else's creation - only if I can offer specific comments
about what I liked or what I would like to see in the future.
5)  I just have more time than usual and devote extra time looking at
someone else's creation, thereby bringing me back to # 4.

Very often, I will just highlight someone's creation as a non-verbal stamp
of admiration.  If I don't reply, it very often means that what I thought
about the issue has already been said, and I don't want to come across
as redundant.

Also, if I think that my post won't be productive to the overall "good", i.e.
the amount of bandwith wasted will exceed the good that everyone will
get out of it, I simply don't post.  The utilitarian approach I suppose.

But I want to hear what others think about the issue - when does one post
and when does one hold off?  Because I'm a member, I don't deal with the
e-mail reply problem, and I understand that this might keep others from
posting.  But what else?

I feel that this issue might have been beaten around the bush, but never
taken head-on.  Or maybe it has, and I missed it - a reference to past
articles in that case would be greatly appreciated.

Very curious,

-- Pawel

http://web.utk.edu/~pnazarew/new/