 Castle / 10045
Re: Black Castle
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Fri, 20 Jul 2001 18:39:41 GMT

i have to be honest, after your whole bit about wanting the castle to be sooo
scary, i was a bit skeptical.  but i have to say that your castle really does
look freaky, although i think if the Mummy's mother-in-law were chasing me i
would take the chance and duck inside. and i mean freaky not in a FrightKnights
kinda way, but in a real burton-esque style.

i especially like how the rock formation contrasts with the building itself.. i
get a real feeling of difference between natural environs and artifical
fortress.

but for some reason, seeing the castle is inhabited and guarded makes it look
not as freaky.. something abandoned is freakier than a working castle (because
you know all those guards must survive day in and day out.. why can't you?).
im not a big fan of skeleton/undead armies, but perhaps they are called for
here. or maybe some dead bodies about.. i always liked litering my castles with
vivid reason why NOT to come there (heads on pikes and such).

overall a success!
i enjoyed looking at it!
-lenny

In lugnet.castle, Jon Furman writes:
Hi All,
It’s been a while since I posted some MOC Stuff, so here goes.

Here is a castle I created entirely in black (save for the Stone slopes).
My desire was to create a really “scary” fortress.  I thought the concept of
the Fright Knights was interesting, but it was only scary in a “Scooby Doo”
sort of way (creepy, but mostly laughable).
I sat back and thought about all of the “scary castles” that I’ve seen on
film or in literature, and there was one thing that I found odd about them.
No matter how scary they looked, people still went into them.  You know,
Belle’s Father runs from the wolves into the Beast’s Castle, Shrek still
trots right into the Dragon’s lair.  I wanted  to make something that if you
were lost in the woods, running from Dracula, The Wolfman, The Mummy and his
mother in Law, and you got to this place, you’d take one look and keep on
running.
I was hoping to build the kind of place where you wouldn’t want to touch
anything for fear of cutting yourself.  A Castle built by such an Evil
Maniac, that you would have to say that he was Eee-vil, and his deeds were
the Fruuu-eets of the Dev-ill .  You know, the sort of place Tim Burton
would go on vacation.
Technically speaking, The Main Tower is three separate sections that attach
to the main keep   There are four small rooms, all are finished, but not
furnished, so I probably won’t take interior photos. The base is about 55
burps, anchored with just about every Blue or red Brick I have.  It took
around 4 days to build.  I hope it’s a one of a kind.  I didn’t really draw
on any specific sources for inspiration.  (other than my strange imagination!)
Let me know what you think!

Jon Furman
Lugnet #1123
“Use the Brick separator, your teeth will thank you later”