 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 968
Re: real world terrain
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Wed, 29 Aug 2001 08:35:10 GMT

I've created a terrain file that's made up of a mesh.  I used a demo version
of Leveller, the easiest terrain creation/importation utility I have yet
found to use.  It is available here:

http://www.daylongraphics.com/products/leveller/index.htm

Follow this link to see an image of the terrain I've rendered in POVray.

http://www.geocities.com/mikehorvath.geo/scene.jpg

The terrain is still quite flat (it's of Indianapolis, so), but it looks
nice.  I layered three textures on top of each othe to create a nice effect.
1. a default dirt texture included with Leveler
2. a plain green (255) texture
3. a grid texture

The textures are all set to 50% transparency, except the grid texture which
has its white color index set to 100% transparency and its black index set
to 100% visibility.

The grid is supposed to show the distance in baseplatewidth, except it
doesn't.  I don't know how to do that.  I haven't figured out the stud/grid
ratio in POVray yet.  Does anyone know?  The grid is supposed to function
like zoning (I could color each grid blue, yellow, red, etc.), letting you
know where you could place your model without having it interfere with other
models.

The advantage of using mesh terrain over stud terrain is, one, that it is
smoother, and two, that textures can be overlayed.  It's feasable that all
roads could be replaced with image maps.  This would allow you to have the
roads rise and fall with the terrain.  Plus, it cuts down on file size.

I'm working on cutting the terrain/image maps to scale, replacing the roads
with one or more texture maps, and finding an efficient means of entering
the building models into the scene.  It would be easier if the terrain-mesh
could be imported into ldraw.  This way I could use the same bitmap to
create the terrain as i would to overlay the texture.