 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 604
Re: L3P user primitive substitution
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Tue, 5 Dec 2000 14:33:45 GMT

In lugnet.cad.ray, Chuck Sommerville wrote:

The L3GO parts could be folded in using this method.

Only if you can find them.  I'm not sure the POV-Ray port of L3G0 is still
around...

Except they increase the size of the parts library.  Disk space may be
cheap, but it's still not free, and many people still use modems to
download.  Bigger files cost them time (and often money, too).

In general, the POV definitions are much smaller than the DAT counterparts,
so the size increase is menimal.

OK.

However, perhaps a set of files that could
be downloaded seperately and "overloaded" on top could be the best way to go.

If this separate set of files were straight POV-Ray code, they could be
kept in a separate directory, and the translator/renderer could include
this directory in the search path.  More exactly, the translator/renderer
should include a search path for POV-Ray files, which is searched before
the search path for straight LDraw files.

If I remember my POV-Ray correctly (it's been awhile), each file would be
an include-able file, defining one object, the part.

Steve