 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 552
Re: Hello
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Tue, 24 Oct 2000 19:09:58 GMT

Hi,
I'm not at my home computer right now but I'll upload the settings as soon as I
get home, promise.

Thanks
Jay Jacinto

In lugnet.cad.ray, Hakan Tandogan writes:
"Jay Jacinto" <manjingo@yahoo.com> writes:

Wow, by far the crispest LEGO renderings I've ever seen.

I use the preprocessor of kings, L3PAO.  It's actually the post-processing • that
makes the difference.  I use POV with the MegaPOV addon.  The addon has a
feature called find_edges.  I actually found this feature when Ben Vaughan
actually did his first renderings and mentioned MegaPOV.

*start google search* *start downloading* ;-)

Well back to how I did this. I used a 16:9 aspect ratio, which also meant
editing the secondary .ini file.

I had to render the model at 2048x1152 because at lower resolutions the find
edges effect looks a little funky.  Take a look at Ben Vaughan's brickshelf
account.  I had the same exact problems that he had.  I think the two
renderings in red are from Cinema 4D XL.

I then shrunk the image down to 1024x576 to get nice lines. I also used Bram
Lambrecht's legocolors.inc file to replace the colors from L3PAO, which I • got
from his brickshelf account.

Could you please (pretty please, with sugar on top of it ;-))
post your settings and the POV-Ray scenes somewhere? Or even upload
them to brickshelf? I'd love to have a look at them, maybe we could
even build a complete HOWTO from them...

I've been playing with the technique for a while now, ever since I saw Ben
Vaughan's first renderings.  I couldn't afford anything else so I stuck with
POV-Ray.

Hey, POV-Ray is an excellent piece of software, especially
if you want to distributed tracing on a whole cluster of unused-at-
night desktop boxes ;-)

Regards,
Hakan