 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 352
Re: boat wake/water help
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Fri, 19 May 2000 21:36:26 GMT

greg bollrud skrev i meddelandet ...
How can I add a wake to make my boats look like they are moving?
I have tried a few of the water rendering demos, but i can't get them
to work.
I filled in the background with Photoshop, but I know it could look a
lot better.
http://web.mit.edu/wingnut/www/images/ohio2.jpg
for an Ohio Class nuclear sub mid-missile launch

http://web.mit.edu/wingnut/www/images/crew.jpg
for a Lego crew team (MIT colors)

Nice sub! But the water...

I have made water by combining a rippled plane with a height field. You can
see an example here: http://user.tninet.se/~hbh828t/povsink.htm The .pov files
are also there to fetch if you want them - note: they do not work as written
with POVRay 3.1, but needs an older version :-(

I have though about wakes too, but no good ideas yet. Perhaps you can use a
height field generator/editor program, and hand modify the height field to
include wakes.

What about two height fields generated from a rippled plane, and then placed a
bit apart? You will not get real interference waves, but perhaps it can be
made to look OK? Tilting those two heigh fields a little and sinking them in
the main water might be something. Rendering time will escalate, of course...

Happy rendering,
--
Anders Isaksson, Sweden
Gallery:   http://user.tninet.se/~hbh828t/gallery.htm