 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 2407
2406  |  2408
Special:
[DAT] (requires LDraw-compatible viewer)
Re: LDraw's Autostep does not work in Lpub?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Mon, 21 Mar 2005 12:58:37 GMT

In lugnet.cad.ray, Mitchell Lichtenberg wrote:
If I understand correctly, LDraw's Autostep is set as the default and requires
no other changes (if you will accept a new step after adding each new part).

Autostep is not part of the LDraw file format, but specific to MLCad.

Here is a specification of the official LDraw file format:

http://www.ldraw.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=218

Autostep is not the default in MLCad.  At least not on my generic installation
of MLCad.

However, I cannot get LPub to render anything but the complete assembly from a
model designed with autostep.  To test this I built a six item structure.  I
used autostep for the first three pieces, then used Add>step between adding each
of the last three pieces.  Lpub rendered the last three steps as instruction
images, but treated the first three as a total assembly.

Autostep is not a meta-command.  Autostep is an MLCad function, that modifies
your file by putting a STEP meta-command between parts based on either height
change, or exceeding the number of bricks specified.  It applies itself to the
file once, every time you apply Autostep.  It is not a mode where it adds a new
step every time you add a nre part.

I tried a similar experiment:

Add three parts.
Apply autostep (every 1 parts)
add three more parts

I got this file result:

0 Untitled
0 Name: autostep.ldr
0 Author: Kevin L. Clague
0 Unofficial Model
0 ROTATION CENTER 0 0 0 1 "Custom"
0 ROTATION CONFIG 0 0
1 0 -50 -48 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 4588.DAT
0 STEP
1 0 -50 8 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 4588.DAT
0 STEP
1 0 10 -48 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 4588.DAT
0 STEP
1 0 -50 56 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 4588.DAT
1 0 10 56 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 4588.DAT
1 0 70 56 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 4588.DAT
0

which shows that MLCad put steps between the first three parts, then I manually
added a step, and added the final three parts.

I've never used Autostep before, and since it does not show up in the file as a
special meta-command, but rather just puts STEP commands into the file, I would
never be aware of Autostep (since I've never used it).

Is this the way LDraw works (i.e. Autostep doesn't function with outside
programs?)  Or is LPub supposed to work with only a manual step?  Or have I
missed a checkbox somewhere, or what?  The LPub version is 2.1.0.6

Please feel free to email me the file that you think shows an LPub bug.

I suspect that the result you see in LPub is exactly the same result you see in
MLCad.

LDraw is a specific file format, that is extensible by people who write LDraw
compatible software.  Michael has added a number of MLCad specific meta-command
extensions that really help with creating building instructions.  They are not
required to be implemented by any LDraw compatible program.

LPub supports these MLCad defined meta-commands:
  Rotation step
  Buffer Exchange Commands
  Ghost Command
  Hide Command

I've added a large number of LPuba and LSynth specific meta-commands too.  MLCad
is not required to support them, although I'm very happy to say Michael has
added support for LSynth meta-commands.

I hope this clears things up for you.

Kevin