 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 1972
Re: trans black holes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Wed, 3 Sep 2003 16:37:21 GMT

In lugnet.cad.ray, Travis Kunce wrote:
take a look at this render below.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/elkane/Renderings/alpha.jpg

notice the dark area behind and below the scoops behind the canopy.
There is a trans red tile back there, that itself looks (ok?)  But
notice the white tiles below it.  This is an annoying effect that I
routinely notice when i use the 1x1 trans tiles.  It seems like the tile
is sucking in the value from the parts within a certain radius of it.
the same thing appears to be happening with the yellow tile near the
front end to a lesser degree.

I'm using 2 lights very dim.
lgeo parts
j's color library
and full radiosity

any idea how i might correct that.  In general I'm having a lot of fun
rendering, but trans parts are a tremendous pain to get even close to
correct.

any help would be appreciated

-tk

One thing i found helps to eliminate these artifacts is to increase the max
trace level. Assuming you are using the most recent version of j de haan's
radiosity files, this is quite easy.  Its the fifth option in the series.  Try 5
like it recommends, but you can go up to 20 or even higher until this
disappears.  Hope that helps a little...