 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 1786
Re: Help with MegaPOV settings
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Fri, 11 Apr 2003 01:08:25 GMT

In lugnet.cad.ray, Tim Courtney writes:
In lugnet.cad.ray, Travis Cobbs writes:
I don't know if it will give you the effect you want, but you can probably
improve that particular part by bumping up the ambient lighting term
(assuming POV has an ambient term).  You may have to also decrease the
brightness of your lights if you do this.

As a point of reference, the subdued lighting option in LDView simply bumps
up the ambient (not angle-dependent) and lowers the diffuse
(angle-dependent).  Normal lighting in LDView has 100% diffuse and 0%
ambient.  Subdued lighting has 50% diffuse and 50% ambient.

Thanks for the suggestion. I decided to render the print res images and use
trusty Photoshop to eliminate the problem. The weird thing is...when I
rendered the model at LPub's preset 'Print Resolution,' it didn't shade the
slopes!

Also, at screen res I was having problems getting it to find all of the
edges (a lot less so than the crappy test I uploaded, but still somewhat),
and when rendered at the higher resolution it found them all properly. This
is strange, to think resolution has anything to do with it. I'm surprised at
how well the MegaPOV stuff came out in the print res renders, seeing how it
was kinda iffy at screen res. I wouldn't think image resolution would matter
to MegaPOV - as I believe it uses depth difference to determine where to put
the edge lines.

I'm not suprised at all that higher resolution is better.  More accurate
information to work with.

Kevin

-Tim