 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 1576
1575  |  1577
Subject:
problem with dark colors using Lgeo
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Sat, 14 Dec 2002 08:19:26 GMT

houston we've got a problem...

basically it's a newbei-problem and probably this question has been posted before over and over again. sorry about that, but after
two days of testing pov-settings I'm next to a nervous breakdown and not in the mood to go through all the postings since the
release of pov 3.5 :-( so here we go:

the aim is doing rough renderings for instructions with LPub,  and Pov 3.5 by using the Lgeo-Library, without the need of tweaking
the Pov-code itself. okay - the library is fine but IMHO its colors are too "dark". I figured out that all boils down to the
Lg_colors.inc-file, but I wasn't very successful in overwriting those settings.

first I deleted the "finish"-settings in lg_color.inc:

#version 3.5
#include "colors.inc"
#version 3.0

#declare lg_grey = texture {
pigment { Gray65 }
}

#declare lg_brown = texture {
pigment { rgb <0.45, 0.35, 0> }
}

hopping that Pov 3.5 would take the settings in the pov-file (church.pov):

#declare AMB = 1;
#declare DIF = 0;

#ifndef (Color7)
#declare Color7 = #if (version >= 3.1) material { #end texture {
lg_grey
} #if (version >= 3.1) } #end
#declare Color7_slope = #if (version >= 3.1) material { #end texture {
lg_grey
#if (QUAL > 1) normal { bumps 0.3 scale 25*0.02 } #end
} #if (version >= 3.1) } #end
#end

#ifndef (Color6)
#declare Color6 = #if (version >= 3.1) material { #end texture {
lg_brown
} #if (version >= 3.1) } #end
#declare Color6_slope = #if (version >= 3.1) material { #end texture {
lg_brown
#if (QUAL > 1) normal { bumps 0.3 scale 25*0.02 } #end
} #if (version >= 3.1) } #end
#end

then I inserted a AMB and DIF in lg_colors.inc and copied the rgb-values from a pov-file which didn't make use of the lgeo-library:

#declare lg_grey = texture {
pigment { rgb <0.682353,0.682353,0.682353> }
finish {
  ambient AMB
  diffuse DIF
  phong 0.5
  phong_size 40
}
}

#declare lg_brown = texture {
pigment { rgb <0.564706,0.337255,0.184314> }
finish {
  ambient AMB
  diffuse DIF
  phong 0.5
  phong_size 40
}
}

I got close to the result I get when rendering without the use of the lgeo_library.  but there where some colors, (say lg_tan) I've
set in the inc-file but haven't been recognized by pov 3.5:

#ifndef (Color19)
#declare Color19 = #if (version >= 3.1) material { #end texture {
// Color not in lg_color.inc; however use same texture
pigment { rgb <0.8,0.666667,0.4> }
finish {
  ambient 0.1
  #if (QUAL > 1)
   phong 0.3
   phong_size 20
  #end
}
} #if (version >= 3.1) } #end

as you can see the ambient-, phong- and phong_size-values are totally different. seems that they were taken from a backup of the
lg_color.inc:

#declare lg_tan = texture {
pigment { rgb <0.78, 0.66, 0.37> }
finish {
  ambient 0.1
  phong 0.3
  phong_size 20
}
}

* HOW DO I GET RIF OF THESE **** SETTINGS!!!
* how would a short-cut for the finishing look like in lg_color.inc? It's annoying modifying every single phong-value in
lg_colors.inc. * how should the code look like in order to get rif of millions of warning in pov 3.5:

File: C:\Programme\MLCad\Lgeo\lg_color.inc  Line: 272
Warning: Index of refraction value should be specified in 'interior{...}' statement.
  Use of this syntax may not be backwards compatable with earlier versions of POV-Ray.
  The #version directive or +MV switch will not help.

* it would be kind if someone could sent me his tweaked lg_color.inc to have a look inside in order to get a deeper understanding.

many thx in advance,

willy
(newbei - also frenetically testing the radiocity-settings (thx to jeroen) and desperately waiting for the result: render-time 14
hours - line 28 of 160 :-(((