 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 1383
Re: Why does it take long?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Tue, 13 Aug 2002 15:34:38 GMT

Eduardo <eduvazhar@terra.es> wrote:
I have a P-3 at 867mhz with 256MB RAM with 2 hds C: 80GB and d: 20GB
I'm using XP Pro.
I used Pov-ray 3.1 with a resolution of 320x 240 no AA
Initial_clock = 1
Final_clock   = 75
Initial_Frame = 1
Final_Frame   = 75
Cyclic_Animation = on

Why does it take around 52 minuites?
I think it should take 20 minutes max but I don't understand why
doesn't.

Is there any difference if I use this program in other OS ?

Ray tracing is very CPU intensive, and I guess also quite memory hungry. If
you've got SDRAM then that could be a bottleneck. A P4 or AMD XP CPU running
much faster with DDR would probably make a huge difference in this case, but
I'm not entirely sure. If you want to send me your POV file by email I could
run it on my AMD 1.4GHz TBird with 512MB DDR under WinME, W2K, and WXP, and
tell you how long it takes in each. That might give you an idea of which OS
is best suited to the job, and what difference a faster CPU and memory would
make. I've also got a GF4Ti4200 128MB graphics card, but I think for POV
that doesn't make much difference as I'm pretty sure all the rendering calcs
done on the CPU, and no optimizations are made to use nVidia (or ATI, etc)
chipsets to speed up the rendering.

Take a look at http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/328/  and
http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/329/  for more info on speeding up
rendering in POVRay.