 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 1377
1376  |  1378
Special:
[DAT] (requires LDraw-compatible viewer)
Subject:
POV Color Cheat?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Mon, 5 Aug 2002 02:34:58 GMT

Would it be possible to inline certain hard-to-achieve POV-Ray colors in a
primitive file so that the color would be available in rendered models without
having to tweak the output file?  Something like this:

0 stud.dat primitive
0 L3P IFNOTPOV
  1 16 0 0 0 6 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 6 4-4EDGE.DAT
  1 16 0 0 0 6 0 0 0 -4 0 0 0 6 4-4CYLI.DAT
  1 16 0 -4 0 6 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 6 4-4DISC.DAT
  1 16 0 -4 0 6 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 6 4-4EDGE.DAT
0 L3P ELSEPOV
0  #declare color384 =
0  { whatever RGB values you like}
0  { as well as any textures, etc...}
0  #declare color385 =
0  { whatever RGB values you like}
0  { as well as any textures, etc...}
0  #declare color386 =
0  { whatever RGB values you like}
0  { as well as any textures, etc...}
0 L3P ENDPOV

  I figure some of the less common LDraw colors might be co-opted for this kind
of thing.  I'm also not too sure of the way "declare" statements are
prioritized, so this might be fundamentally unworkable.  I've been trying to
achieve the dull-chrome of certain technic elements, as well as the gold of the
bugle and coin elements, but I've only had success by modifying the .pov output
file.
  As an alternative, if POV-modified primitives are unsuitable, what about a
dummy .dat file that could include such color statements without displaying
eating an actual part in the model.
  Is this kind of thing workable?  I confess that I may be missing something
basic that would prohibit color assignment like this...

     Dave!