 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 1271
Re: How can I make the wheels rotate?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Mon, 20 May 2002 19:53:25 GMT

In lugnet.cad.ray, Eduardo Vazquez Harte writes:
Hi all,
just a quick question How can make my wheels rotate around like normal car
wheels instead of having the rotating around like if the are in orbit around
a planet or some thing?

I used this but is not right

rotate <clock,0,0>}

In the model's POV code, there is a matrix that both rotates and positions
the wheel.  It looks something like this:
  matrix <1,0,0,0,1,0,0,0,1,25,30,35>
The first nine values control rotation and scaling of the part.  The last 3
control the position of the part.  Here's a good way to get a wheel to
rotate in place:
  1: Change the last 3 numbers in the matrix to zeros.  Make sure
     you note what the values were, because this is important in
     step 3.
  2: Add your rotate statement right after that matrix.  The line
     you give will rotate the part along the X axis.  This is
     generally right for a wheel if the vehicle is pointing along
     the Z axis.  You could also use rotate <0,clock,0> or rotate
     <0,0,clock> to rotate it along another axis.  You might want
     to put a multiplier on the clock as well, depending on how
     fast you want the wheel to turn.
  3: Add a translate statement right after the rotate.  Use the 3
     values that were originally the last 3 numbers in the matrix.

So, starting with this matrix:
  matrix <1,0,0,0,1,0,0,0,1,25,30,35>
You should end up with:
  matrix <1,0,0,0,1,0,0,0,1,0,0,0>