 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 1269
Re: lightsaber effect
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Wed, 15 May 2002 20:19:39 GMT

In lugnet.cad.ray, Ryan Farrington writes:
How does one create a lightsaber effect in POV-Ray? And I don't mean
lighting up a lightsaber part. From my very limited knowledge of the
program, it seems you could use one (or more) cylinders with various media
applied. Other than that I am clueless!

I built some replacement parts for the lightsaber blade.  These look normal
in ldraw tools, but when you run them through l3p, the blade gets replaced
by a cylinder filled with light-emitting media.  Note that there are 3
different blade parts, each hardcoded to a specific color.  I don't know of
any way for the L3P code to pass the part's color in to determine the media
color.  To make sure you don't get them mixed up, I hardcoded the ldraw
versions as well.

There are some cheesy sample renders along with the part files.  There is
also a render that uses the standard lightsaber blade.

And yes- if you really knew what you were doing, you could get much nicer
effects.  This is just a quick and dirty version, but it gets the point
across and still looks Lego-ish.  I also included a light source inside the
center of the blade so that you'll get shadows cast by the blade's glow.

The media looks different at different angles due to your viewpoint passing
through more or less of the media.  It also behaves differently as the light
around it varies.  You might want to tune the brightness of the light
depending on the view angle and ambient light.  Note that in this simple
example, I scaled down the default l3p-inserted lights by 50%.

--
Tony Hafner
www.hafhead.com