 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 1257
Re: Muzzle flash in POV-Ray?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Tue, 7 May 2002 20:00:43 GMT

In lugnet.cad.ray, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:

Replying to myself... again... :-,

One item I forgot to mention about my second code snippet (fire object from
icosahedron) is that it looked like dithered crap until I added the
"intervals" and "samples" values.  There's several lessons in this:

1.  When you add multiple media and/or multiple densities, you probably need
to crank up these values as the defaults are worthless.  The values I used
seem to be absurdly high, and they took a long time to render, and the
result was *still* splotchy and dithered...leading me to point #2.

2.  Even then, in order to get a smooth, nice-looking final image, you may
need to crank up the anti-aliasing (or render at a super-large resolution
then scale it down, e.g. in photoshop, virtually the same effect).  My final
renderings had an AA threshold of 0.3, meaning that if there was a 30%
difference between neighboring pixels it would render the pixels "in
between" -- effectively doubling the resolution and quadrupling the
rendering time.

3.  You need to read the ENTIRE POVRay manual -- cover to cover, in all its
badly-written glory -- in order to really understand what's going on...
there are very few decent tutorials out there, especially for 3.1 features
such as media.  This, I know from personal experience.  :-P

Cheers,
- jsproat