 CAD / MLCad / 991
Re: idea for next version, include ttore boxes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.mlcad
Date:
Fri, 17 Aug 2001 09:58:21 GMT

First:
ttore.dat is a model of my parents' house, included in Datsville.
ttore.box is the boundary box file for that very model.
Just wanted to clarify.

I have made some files like 3001.box, 3002.box etc. (Still missing some,
like Plate 1 x 6.)
With a proper header, they could be officialized(?)

If programs like MLCad has an option like "Replace All Standard Parts with
boxes", it's a piece of cake to add code like this:
//pseudocode:  if (ReplaceAllWithBoxes.Checked && fileexist("3001.box"))
//pseudocode:    use("3001.box");
//pseudocode:  else
//pseudocode:    use("3001.dat");

Then next step is "Replace Selected..." but that's another tale...

Replacing models is more complicated, but I really like the idea.
I would like to be able to replace a yellow house with black sloping roof
with a black (triangeloid*) on top of a yellow box.
*) Don't know the English term. You know what I mean.

A very good thing I experimented with was to "paint" the bbox representing
the Datsville University trans-blue!

Another thing I've tried was Y-filtering the building, removing all above -72.

Oh dear, this shouldn't be posted here.

But, without studs the feeling of building would somehow spoiled a bit...

In lugnet.cad.mlcad, Michael Horvath writes:
Michael, if in next version of MLCad you could include support for
ttore.box's, one would be able to make render-smart models without having to
waste time by going back and "optimizing" the same model model you just built.

A new menu item like "New ttore Brick", which asks you size, and then
automatically selects correct ttore.box.
Or, right click on a part in a model and tooltip option exists, like
"replace with ttore brick".  Obviously, not all bricks would be replaceable.
But for those that are (like 2x4, 1x4, etc.), maybe you could make tooltip
pop up.

This way you could optimize for render process while you're building a model.

Just a suggestion.