 CAD / MLCad / 863
Re: Solution concerning MLCAD colors (was Re: Question about MLCAD colors)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.mlcad
Date:
Tue, 24 Apr 2001 18:16:43 GMT

In addition to this I personally feel that the grey edge colour for black
elements is too dark, it works for one black element but when you have a
black model the joins become nearly invisible. Is it posible to create user
defined custom colours (with user defined edge colours) or does this invovle
a change in the software.

Tim

In lugnet.cad.mlcad, James Jackson writes:
Good Evening.
    I am writing to give my own suggestion about colors in MLCAD, based on
pre-existing colors in LDraw. While some of the colors [when converting LDraw
usage to MLCAD usage] turned out pretty well, others appeared so shockingly
different, that I was forced to rethink about the final outcome. Most of these
colors use a hex-based system of 33,66,99,CC,FF that doesn't quite work as well
as others might.

Here is a list of some of the non-dithered colors in MLCAD that I suggest that
we change:
6 - Brown - change to 112,72 (or 80),0. It is sometimes too dark to make out.
10 - Cyan - change to 0,255,255. While the color used looks good, it confuses
some into mistaking it for Light Blue. The color I have given is the authentic
color cyan -- the most intense values of both green and blue.
25 - Orange - change to 255,128,0. "255,102,0" makes it look too red to compare
with the authentic TLG color. Also change from "Orange-Solid" to Orange.
57 - Trans. Orange - may actually be right. "255,96,0" looks better, but it
still doesn't demand a surface change.
Both oranges could use a change in edge color to either #6 - Brown, or #14 -
Yellow.
19 and 28 - Tan - Do we really need 2 of the exact same color?
5 and 26 - Magenta/Dark Pink - #26 has the best name for what has become of
both colors. 5 was meant to be a darker version of true magenta (255,0,255). So
my suggestion is to change #5 to a color that will suit both LDraw and LDLite
users - 192,0,192 (or 176,0,176). Those wanting Dark Pink may turn to #26.
23 - Purple-Blue - change to 128,0,204. The previous version makes it look too
blue to be purple-ish. "Indigo" is also easier to write.
If I might be so bold as to ask, when a revision is made, could the following
colors be added to the remaining unused spaces:
Sky Blue - 31,202,255; with #1 or #9 as an edge color.
Trans. Sky Blue - (same as above); with #1 as an edge color.
Trans. Purple - 128,0,176; with #9 or #13 as an edge color.

The only colors affected by my request are:
5 (and 37 in tandem) - Magenta
6 (and 38 in tandem) - Brown
10 (and possibly 43 in tandem) - Cyan
19 & 28 - Tan & Tan-Solid
23 - Indigo (as opposed to Purple-Blue)
25 - Orange (as opposed to Orange-Solid)
26 - Dark Pink
57 - Trans-Orange

Allow me to close by saying that I don't expect all, nor any of these changes
to be made, but would at the very least like to lay my opinions on the table.

James J.
jejackso@memphis.edu

P.S.: Does MLCAD support changing the edge colors on any non-original colors?
(Original colors being 0-15, 16, 24, 32-47, & 256-511.) If so, please look into
it.

In lugnet.cad.mlcad, Michael Lachmann writes:
Good question - currently MLCad does not support changing the edge color -
but it should do ...

I've got the color definitions from the LDLite source code. I must admit,
that I never asked about the edge colors. I have no idea from where they are

Michael

--
Ing Michael Lachmann

Joseph Cardana <jcardanas@home.com> schrieb in im Newsbeitrag:
G6tDJ9.CyJ@lugnet.com...
Michael,

    In reference to the Main and Edge colors... If I color a part red the
edges are bright red. Is there a way to have the edge colors black or dark
gray? Is there a reason for the odd edge colors?

Joe